MGM Southern Rose Windows

bushda76March 15, 2013

Anyone use these windows in their new construction and have any feedback?

Many Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

Have not had the opportunity, nor do I see them mentioned often.. I'd check out the thermal and structural performance ratings, and search for reviews ;).

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:21PM
Renae Hardt

Just wanted to put out there (as I know in my hunt for reviews, that there was very little out there) that we installed the white vinyl MGM Southern Rose windows throughout our entire new home. We chose single hung as well as casement windows. I know that there are many window snobs out there who have a problem with vinyl but not everyone has a million dollars to build a home with the top brand/quality used in every nook and cranny! We chose to cut corners and go with vinyl and use a brand that is not widely known. We wanted a home with TONS of windows/lots of light because we built out in the country with lots of scenic views. There is no way we could have afforded our dream if we had went with something other than vinyl & a lesser known brand. Personally I think they look great! We built a craftsman cottage style home and we've had so many compliments. Everyone loves it! That being said, the Pella guy came by (he is a friend of our carpenter) and was running his mouth about how he "couldn't believe anybody would put such cheap windows in a home of this quality". Whatever... overall we are happy so far and that is what matters.

That being said, I would like to make a few comments here...I feel like our casement windows are better quality than the single hung. I wasn't sure about them when I saw them in the store but I really do love them. We have not, however, put the screens in them. I don't like the idea of screens on the inside clouding up my view of the outside world. I don't plan to open those windows a whole lot as we don't open our windows much anyway, but if I do want to open one or two here and there, our screens are easily accessible and I figure I can pop them in when I do want the ability to let fresh air in.

Single hung windows...we debated. Did we really need the double hung? It was a hard decision, but again, cost was a factor for us and honestly, we had double hung in our old home and the only time it came in handy was when we were cleaning the windows. In comparison to the double hung in our old home (which I think are Andersen), I do think the quality is probably not quite as good. The Southern Rose seem a bit flimsier. When raising the window, it is much lighter and kind of just "springs up". There is also no lip to raise and pull the window down, which seems strange--I've just been pushing them up and down, using the sash. We also really have had to make sure they are sealed tightly, otherwise I've noticed that windows that have a light/lamp near to them, somehow draw a few small gnats and other nighttime critters in (even with the screens on). Maybe its because we live in a totally rural place and there are a lot more tiny critters out here, looking for a way in? This, more than anything, troubles me the most. Even when I think things are sealed tight, they are not always, and I would think that if they are latched, that should be enough to keep anything out that I don't want in?

Again, overall I am happy with how they look. I hope they stand up to the elements a good 25 years or more (admittedly, the window snobs have me worried); however, if they don't, we will just deal with it. With what we saved, we can hopefully afford to replace a faulty window here or there with something that is better quality (if indeed the quality is not what we hope it is). I'll let everyone know if that ends up being the case!

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:07PM
cobbyw

My husband is a contractor. We are building a home at the beach and also have a budget. His friend at the lumber store recommended MGM. We are going to give them a shot at our bid.

Bookmark   November 3, 2014 at 4:26PM
toddinmn

Me and all my neighbors put'm in and by golly if we are not all amazed we got a good window so cheap.It was too good to be true.

Bookmark   November 3, 2014 at 7:13PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Zinger for Todd.

2 points.

Bookmark   November 4, 2014 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Need help. Looking for window expert consultant in Minneapolis
We had our windows replaced (full replacement) and...
judyrk
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
cynna622
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
Sponsored Products
New Geometric Balouch Runner Hand Knotted Wool Medallion Area Rose Red Rug Free
BH Sun Inc
King Ironwork Duvet Cover 108" x 95" - PLATINUM (95X108)
$875.00 | Horchow
Westin Interlined Blackout Grommet 84-inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Syrah Red 50 x 120-Inch Taffeta Curtain
$99.95 | Bellacor
Thermostatic Shower System, Rose & Ceiling Arm, Handset & Body Sprays
Hudson Reed
Jasper Old Bronze Six-Light Island Light
Bellacor
Carlton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Wood 2-inch Antique Bronze Curtain Rings (Set of 7)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™