Uh Oh - New to Mosaic

keanaz5aJuly 29, 2010

I did my first mosaic recently. I did a large clay pot with dish shards. It turned out nice IMO. Now, I found this site and am reading and think I may have screwed it up. Was I supposed to seal the clay pot first? I used premixed tile adhesive and sanded grout, but did not seal anything first. Wouldn't the shards and adhesive "seal" the outside or no? Can I still salvage it if I seal the inside? I hope I haven't ruined it. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

I'm afraid that the pre-mixed adhesive won't hold on your pot unless you use it as a container for another potted plant for interior use only. If I wanted to salvage it, I'd line the inside of the pot w/plastic, and set another potted plant inside. I have three mosaiced containers inside my house that I use this way - putting in a plastic bag to hold my plant, and don't plant directly into the mosaiced container. Even using cement-based adhesives and sealers on some clay pots won't hold up long outside in some climates - speaking from experience. Pictures, please.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 11:07AM
nanatricia

Well so far slowmedown I have one thats been out a few years but was done with thin set.I do not plant directly in it .I have read where you can spray a tar like spray you can get at a car shop .I have not done this .Slow is right premix does not do good out side that I also know from experiences.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 9:47PM
silvamae

I won't plant directly into a terra cotta mosaic pot ever again. I will continue to mosaic flower pots, but I will make sure I have a plastic liner inside them.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 11:33PM
texaswild

I think I've mentioned b/f that some clay pots w/disintegrate in freezing weather whether or not they are mosaiced. I had one fall apart this past winter that was just painted. That's why it's important to make sure of the quality of your clay pot. This pot had been outside for about four years, and was painted w/oils, but the unusual low temps we had knocked out two pots - one mosaiced and just the painted one. On the other hand, I have two huge Mexican pots that I mosaiced w/o sealer, BTW, both are planted, and both are holding. Crossing my fingers - these pots are huge - by my swing patio.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™