how to clean old concrete birdbath

katzglasJuly 8, 2009

Hi, another "newbie". I have been doing stained glass for over 30 years and now want to try mosaic. We just recently moved to FL where there is a cement birdbath outside our house in the garden. (my inspiration). It is pretty dirty, mildew and such. I imagine I would need to clean it real good before attempting to do anything to it. I did find a good website that helps me get started on basic mosaic tech. but not in how to clean it. Any ideas? I was thinking bleach and a good stiff brush. After I get it clean, should I seal it with anything before getting started. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malarkey

Hi , I would try a solution of half bleach and half water to kill the mold. If any parts aren't going to be covered with mosaic tiles you could try a citrus degreaser to clean it. As a last resort muratic acid will clean it but there is many precautions you will have to take to use it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

You're right - bleach solution and a good scrub brush. Not necessary to seal it afterwards. Be sure and use thinset for adhering your tiles.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 6:17AM
More Discussions
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
One more ready for the kiln
I love working with glass . I love being able to go...
toomuchglass
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™