peach wine problem

woody64(5a)August 27, 2013

I am making some peach wine for the first time and after a couple of weeks brewing my wine tastes vinegary.I put about 11/2 - two gallons of peaches and about 10 lbs of sugar in a 25 litre bucket with some wine yeast. This is my first attempt at making peach wine btw.I also see alot of recipes with a tea bag added and or pectin,should I have added these too? Did i forget something ,any way to correct it? Wine is still "working" though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bert1970

i use to make wine but never tried from scratch i bought the kits from a local place that sales brew supplies find one in your area and ask them that would be a good place to start you probably would find some good easy starter recipes

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creativesolver

It should be fine if:

1. Everything was sterile when you started. Every single little piece of equipment and containers.

2. Peaches were boiled to sterilize or you added sulphite to kill anything else growing in them before adding wine yeast.

3. It has been in the bucket 4-5 days or less. After that it needs to be sealed in another container with an air lock or some people use a sterile balloon over the lip of a glass jug.

4. It has been loosely covered to keep foreign things and bugs out.

You will not need pectin but you might need pectic enzyme which destroys the pectin in the wine so it will clear eventually. You don't want pectin in the wine. Also the wine yeast will grow better in a slightly acidic environment, which is what the tea bag is for, you might get wine without it, just not very fast and it might stop from time to time under less than desirable temps, etc if not enough vigorous yeast growth.

If you have vinegar, you may have another yeast in there. It doesn't usually happen during the first few days of a wine start due to the concentration of CO2 being produced by the wine, but after a few days that slows down. That's why it has to be moved to a sealed container after the first few days.

I hope this is helpful.

Bookmark   last Tuesday at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
A source for new 2L pop bottles?
Hi all! I would like to purchase around 100 new bottles...
Konrad___far_north
I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.
I bought 4 grape vines about 2 wks. ago (Thompson and...
bricore
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
planting chardonnay grape vines
I am going to plant some chardonnay wine grape vines...
sierravista
Sponsored Products
Juno Lighting Hardware Pro-Series Black Direct Wire Module ULH-DWM-BL
$17.97 | Home Depot
Gorham Lady Anne Liquor Decanter
Overstock.com
Targetti | Decanter Pendant Light
$696.00 | YLighting
Full Dining Picnic Set
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Provence Wine Holder
Overstock.com