Stomping Grapes in Greece

wild_rose_of_texas(z8b TX)August 14, 2008

Yesterday I watched a neat program, one of Samantha Brown's travel shows, this time about the Greek Isles.

She got to stomp some grapes, I think in Crete, or maybe it was Santorini? She is a delightfully unpretentious traveller, always on the lookout for a lighthearted adventure. I love her programs!

As a novice to wines, I admit my lack of experience. But I saw something that set me to thinking. The vat she was in held primarily red grapes, but they came along and poured in some white grapes as well. So this one was to be a blend, obviously. How can one learn what grape is used to make a particular European wine blend if it is one of those regions that goes by terroir rather than our American method of naming by variety? And, what about these wines that are not just grapes, but have other fruits added. I bought one in central Texas recently that was a blend of grape and wildflower elixir!!! Very different taste!

Allison

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wild_rose_of_texas(z8b TX)

lol, yeah, it sounds sort of slimy, doesn't it? I am a nurse, and the idea of drinking wine that somebody's dirty feet were smashing is not very hygienic! I just keep telling myself that the fermentation hopefully kills any athlete's foot.... at least, I hope so!

Allison

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Here's the deal. We get clean trash cans. Bleach em out. Put the grapes in. Then we put bleach/water in plastic containers and we soak our feet prior to stepping up the sanitized step stool to get our sanitized footsies into the grapes. We put on Garth or Jimmy Buffet, and stomp!!

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.
I bought 4 grape vines about 2 wks. ago (Thompson and...
bricore
Wine Fridge Recommendation?
Hello - I am going to bite the bullet and buy a wine...
pwellsy
Ph buffer solution??
I just ordered a pH meter for measuring the acid/alkaline...
bejay9_10
any additive/chemical-free wines?
I did an internet search to see if any country forbade...
usafarmer
fermentation
Hello, I am a newbie at this and am making my first...
winenewbie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™