Grape phylloxera? Need help please ...

topieJuly 5, 2009

Hello,

I never have posted on this forum, but today we just noticed this disturbing phenomenon on some of the leaves of a grape vine that has been growing in our yard. We're not absolutely sure what kind of grape vine this is, so please pardon our complete ignorance of Vitus.

I actually have never paid much attention to this vine before, so have yet to ID it. I don't even really know what color or shape the grapes are, if any.

However, the appearance of these blister-type white pustule things has us concerned. Could this be damage from a Grape Phylloxera, or are these blisters some kind of Grape Blister Gall?

Also, is this is something that could spread to other plants in our garden? We have a Monarda and some Eupatorium purpureum that we are fond of in the immediate vicinity of this grape vine, but aren't sure if the problem is something that could "jump species" like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Well, I have grape vines, and that doesn't look like a grape leaf to me. It might be some other kind of vine.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 10:27AM
topie

Thanks desertdance, I agree the leaf in the photo does not look all that grape-like. We did not plan this vine and there's a possibility this may be a wild grape called riverbank grape (Vitis riparia). I believe the leaves on the riverbank grape can vary a lot in shape, even on the same vine. This vine does have long curling tendrils at the ends, similar to other grape vines I have seen.

Also, the edges of the leaf in the photo are slightly deformed and curling inward due to the pustules of this pest/disease, so it's difficult to tell what the leaf would look like without the pustules.

Here are a couple of more photos, that include some leaves without the pustules on them. Please disregard the hosta leaves below the vine leaves in the second photo.

I'll take some more photos of the leaves, tendrils, etc. and upload them here if that would help.

Thanks.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:58AM
topie

P.S. Could also be Frost grape (Vitis vulpina), or Fox grape (Vitis labrusca). These are two other native grape vines that grow wild in our area as far as I know.

I've also noticed this same pustule issue on other similar-looking vines in our region.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 2:16AM
topie

Here are some more photos of the vine. It looks like a grape vine to me (Vitis vulpina? Vitis riparia?), but let me know what else you think it might be.
Thanks in advance.

Overall foliage:

Close-up of tendrils (please disregard leaves of Yellow Birch (Betula alleghaniensis) in photo:

Close-up of fruit:

Close-up of stems (and pustules):

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
planting chardonnay grape vines
I am going to plant some chardonnay wine grape vines...
sierravista
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
wine corks
My niece and I are making crafts for Christmas and...
olered68
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
Ph buffer solution??
I just ordered a pH meter for measuring the acid/alkaline...
bejay9_10
Sponsored Products
Grape Tree Metal Two Light 24.5-Inch Table Lamp
$329.99 | Bellacor
Aurora Olde Gold Ten-Light Chandelier with Grape Cluster Crystal Accents
Bellacor
Global Views Sea Grape Leaf Wall Decor - 4.90069
$172.50 | Hayneedle
Stone Mill Oil-rubbed Bronze Napa Valley Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 25)
Overstock.com
Madeira Harvest Set of Four Cereal Bowls
$92.00 | FRONTGATE
Ravenscroft Amplifier Mature Bordeaux Wine Glass - Set of 4 - W6124
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Green Grapes Insulated Wrap & Chill Wine Chiller
$10.99 | zulily
Sonoma Collection Hand-painted 16-piece Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™