help with outside mosaic project

dian57July 4, 2008

Several years ago I did an indirect method mosaic of Astrias, the god of wind to cover my potting bench cement pad. My problem was using newsprint-weight paper as the backing. When I tried to flip it onto the thinset it tore in a lot of places, making placement uneven.

I want to extend part of my cement patio and thought a mosaic strip would be a good compliment to my garden nearby.

What backing should I use that will hold up when I flip it over. Will I be able to draw a design on this material?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

OH MY WORD!!! That is sooooo beautiful! Haven't done an indirect method yet, but I think most people use contact paper. Think the contractor's paper - heavy craft paper w/work also. I use it a lot for making patterns. It's quite sturdy, so I think it w/work fine. Wonderful project. You did a beautiful job. Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on the extension.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:24AM
dian57

Thanks, slow.

Wouldn't using contact paper pull the glass pieces from the thin-set when peeled away?

I thought I needed to use something that would allow water to dissove the glue that held the glass pieces to the base, no?

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:26AM
shrty411

I think if you wait until it has cures enough the glass won't pull away. I haven't done it though, so I'm not sure. the contract paper should work fine

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 9:36AM
nicethyme

when they show contact paper in use, its always noted that they don't pull it up but peel it sideways or low. I would go with Slows suggestion of the brown kraft/construction paper so that you can draw right on it. Thats very nice btw, love the design!

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 10:31AM
texasfern

I agree with Slow that a brown type paper should be used.
Useing a water soluble glue when you place the finished piece, you simply water sponge the paper, then peel off the paper.If the thinset is set, it won't pull the tiles.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 10:41AM
cindiloo

I've only tried the indiredt method with a small project and I used contact paper. I was too impatient and peeled it off too quick and ended up with crooked tile!
I think you've gotten some good advice about kraft paper and water soluble glue....you can learn a lot here... like, the god of wind's name is Astrias. :)
It's a beautiful mosaic, btw.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 1:48PM
flagtruck

Welcome to the group... .I have to agree with all about the brown craft paper and weldbond glue...Only I would not do it that way, I would be different and do the whole thing on the fiberglass mesh and then set it into thinset. I really like picking up the whole thing or pieces and setting it down, done...quick is for me.
I have yet to do an indirect where you lay your tiles upside down, but I doubt if I could do it as I don't follow a pattern and my design changes as I go. I never know what I will do next..lol
I love your design and think it is beautiful, if what you do next is half as nice it will be a knockout.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 3:26PM
texasfern

Hey Flag that is usually what I do, just start and let it happen. I get all flusterd when I try to design a pattern then mosaic it.
I'm not sure I would use Weldbond tho, expensive, elmers will work if you are going to sponge it off.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 4:25PM
dian57

Thanks for all your advice. I'm more of a planner than a design-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal. I need to have a pattern to work from before starting a project.

I've been reading all the posts and enjoying the pictures of your projects. Wow, lots of talent here.

Dianne

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 6:07AM
More Discussions
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
Sponsored Products
Meridian Linen 42-Inch x 84-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
Stair Treads: Natco Flooring Kurdamir II Alhambra Bone 9 in. x 26 in. Stair
$17.97 | Home Depot
Fire Magic 43914-SL Single Access Door - 14 x 20 - Left Hinge - 43914-SL
$239.70 | Hayneedle
Thermocast Kitchen Crisfield Drop-in Acrylic 17x22x9 2-Hole Single Bowl Prep
Home Depot
Panasonic SR42FZ 23-Cup Rice Cooker / Steamer - SR42FZ
$163.95 | Hayneedle
White Lighted Magnifiers: Naturalight 3.5 in. White Table Magnifying Lamp UN1040
$35.60 | Home Depot
Aries Zodiac Personalized Canvas
$34.99 | zulily
Star Wars Princess Leia Apron - Adult
$14.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™