Can wine be bottled in crown-cap beer bottles?

arley_gwJuly 12, 2009

Greetings all:

I'm fairly experienced in home brewing but I've never made any wine. I'm thinking about trying my hand at it.

Real basic question: rather than investing in corking tools and wine bottles, can you simply use 22 oz beer bottles and use a crown cap closure, just as you would for beer making?

Restating that, what advantage, if any, does a wine cork have over a bottle cap?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Well, they bottle wine in screw caps, so as long as you are sure there is no more yeast growing, and all is quiet, you could probably do it. Go over to winepress and ask this question. The experts are there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Referral Link for wine makers and growers

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 10:34AM
rosesinny(7a)

Corks expand to fit the neck of the bottle, providing a tight seal. There were no comparable materials when that was discovered, so they've become the closure of choice. A good cork, in wine that is properly stored, can last many many years.

Crown caps are less secure. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that if as mentioned above, the wine is finished, you can probably use a crown cap for a short time.

I don't know the stats for air transpiration with screw caps either. How long can you store something sealed with crown caps?

Corks are not ideal closures IMO. Personally, I love the idea of screw tops because corks have plenty of problems. But they do have a track record, so assuming you have good corks, you've at least got history on your side.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 3:51PM
rosesinny(7a)

Look for Berger Gruner Veltliner. One liter bottle, crown cap.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 2:52PM
myk1(5 IL)

I've had sparkling cherry wine in 12oz beer bottles for many years. Sour cherries so it took about 5 years of aging before they were drinkable. It has held it's carbonation so I assume they are tight.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 5:46PM
laura_fl(8.5)

Similar question. Can you use the beer capper to put beer caps onto 750 ml wine bottles? My husband is making mead now and I was wondering if we wanted to put some of it into wine bottles if we could cap it like he does with regular beer bottles.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 7:34PM
spaceman13(6b)

I found a bottle of stout, and a bottle of red ale homebrew I made in my basement. They were 8 and 10 years old respectively

Both retained carbonation, which means they remained integrity
I chilled and drank both with no ill effects.

I also have used 12 oz Bud returnables and non-returnables for still Cyser and still hard cider (no carbonation) that I heat pasteurized.

It will not win you any style points, but should work just fine.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 11:53AM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

This is great! I think I might do this with some of my wine too!

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:18AM
chas045(7b)

laura_fl, if I understand your question correctly, bottle caps won't seal because regular wine bottles have no rounded lip for the cap to grip around.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:08AM
apg4

Crown caps will do fine. I have made sparkling wine in the "methode champenoise" process in which the wine undergoes secondary fermentation in the bottle - champagne bottles. The bottles are "riddled": stored neck down and turned every so often to concentrate the lees at the neck. The final cork closure is put in later.

Bottles that can accommodate crown caps can usually handle a bit of pressure. But there is a mighty fine line between a sparkling wine and hand grenades.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
What's your favorite cheap wine?
The Wal-Mart has inspired me to ask this question. Specifically,...
cecilia_md7a
Suggestions for reliable Black Wine selling location
My grandfather is coming to town next week and he is...
Topectepech1944
Pierce's disease
I've been making wine from just about any fruit I can...
apg4
Powdery Mildew
Hello, I am wondering what would the best powdery mildew...
Kit.578
Sponsored Products
Koldfront Platinum 16-bottle Wine Cooler
Overstock.com
Pro Track Loida Chrome LED Adjustable Ceiling Fixture
Lamps Plus
Nuovo Glass Vessel Sink
Modern Bathroom
Areaware | Extra Large Cubebot
YLiving.com
Desert Bloom Coaster Set
$22.99 | Dot & Bo