any additive/chemical-free wines?

usafarmer(z5 MA)June 25, 2007

I did an internet search to see if any country forbade the use of chemicals in its wine, couldn't find any. Instead, I found Australia allows the use of 50 chemicals in wine, and that Germany's since-1567 purity law that forbids any but 4 ingredients to make beer does not cover wine, and that German wine is without protection from the use of chemicals to make it. Since my allergies are incited by so many wines, that may be because of chemicals or because some strains of yeast cause allergies more than others, I need to find an inexpensive wine I can drink without an allergic problem. The only US wine I've tried that is never a problem is Korbel California Champage "Natural"/Extremely Dry [not to be confused with either Korbel's Brut or Very Dry which are quite allergic], but I don't always want a whole, expensive bottle of champagne. Is there any wine which those of you with allergies have found safe to drink? Or is there any origin country of wine supposed to be free of chemical additives? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kcook969

You might want to see a doctor and have an allergy test and see what you are allergic too.

One possibility would be an organic winery. Organic wine uses only natural ingredients so that would fit your criteria of no chemicals.

I've not tried them, but Four Chimneys here on Seneca Lake is supposed to be good. They do mail order, and are the first organic winery in North America.

You may wish to check out the following sites and see if they list any near you.

http://www.google.com/Top/Shopping/Food/Beverages/Wine/Organic/

Or do a google search like "organic winery, 12345"

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Chimneys Winery

    Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 2:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lindsey_CA

This is a direct quote from the Sunstone Winery web site:

"Sunstone Vineyards and Winery is located 30 minutes north of Santa Barbara and is one of the most beautiful wineries and tasting rooms in the Santa Ynez Valley. Sunstone's tasting room is reminiscent of some of the small wineries in the Provencal French countryside, featuring a kitchen complete with a wood-burning oven and two stone barrel-aging caves built into the hillside. The Rice Family farms their 77-acre vineyards in an organic, bio-sustainable manner, meeting all California Certified Organic Farmer standards."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunstone Winery

    Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 2:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I seem to do well with New Zealand wines and Australian...
Don't know what it is with me that causes the closed ears and the pounding hear....but have not found it to be present in any Aussie or New Z wines I have tried....
Linda C

    Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 11:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laa_laa(Sunset /8 or 9)

Perhaps you might think of making your own wine...then you can control the additives/chemicals, especially the sulfites. My husband makes wines for this reason. L.

    Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 1:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
green-zeus

There are MANY wine cultures that wine makers use. If you find a wine you can successfully drink, you should stay with it.

    Bookmark   November 22, 2007 at 11:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss.sicily

Only 5% of the wines in the U.S are boutique...naturally made, hand picked, hand sorted, without additives. Besides loving the way small batch wines taste, you really appreciate the quality the next day, when you dont have a headache :):) The other 95% are mass produced or formula wines.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:16PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
wine corks
My niece and I are making crafts for Christmas and...
olered68
Passive wine cellar with XPS - condensation problem
I am building a passive wine cellar in a basement cold...
andrewzytic
Ph buffer solution??
I just ordered a pH meter for measuring the acid/alkaline...
bejay9_10
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™