Mold on vinyl frame inside

earthygal52March 12, 2011

First of all I live in WA state and it's very damp here. These windows were replaced in 1998 and they're from a company called Alpine which is no longer in business. My ques. is why would the interior frame on the vinyl get moldy? Is it because they were not sealed properly? They were installed when it was snowing could that be why? Excuse me if I seem naive, but that's my guess. Anyone care to elaborate on this? Also, it's not happening on all the windows but still a few too many.

Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

Are there HVAC vents under your windows that this is occurring on? Do you have any type of blinds/shutters/shades/draperies on these windows? I ask because we had the same issue in our last house that had all vinyl windows. We had plantation style blinds (not shutters) that stayed closed the vast majority of the time. We would get mold along the base of the window where vinyl meets glass and then along the top of the bottom sash frame where it locks together with the upper sash frame. It formed especially quickly on the bathroom window. We figured the air was blowing straight up out of the vent & getting caught between the blinds & the window causing light condensation to form which would never completely evaporate thus causing the mold. We resolved the problem by putting plastic vent "deflectors" on the vents which directed the air out toward the room vs. straight up. We picked them up at Lowe's--I think they're made by the Deflect-o company and ran around $5 each. They just snap on the vent cover. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Deflect-o Air Deflectors

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Moisture + food source + darkness (ideally) = Mildew/Mold

Make sure that any window coverings that you have over that window are open and there is air circulation at that opening.

There may be enough of a thermal bridging effect there that is allowing for condensation at the location in question or enough air infiltration around that section of the window that is also allowing for condensation to form (i.e. Dew Point temperatures).

Have you checked the interior humidity levels?

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
need window advice about a retro fit window in new opening thats finis
can i put a retro fit in a new window opening if i...
abatt64
Sponsored Products
Trans Globe 1050 BN Pendant - Brushed Nickel - 17.25W in. - 1050 BN
$283.10 | Hayneedle
Natural & Cream Accent Chair
$249.99 | zulily
Kichler Ladero 5" Wide Shadow Bronze Mini Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
O-Pipe Chandelier by Global Views
$4,497.50 | Lumens
Butler Artists' Originals Drum Table In Gilded Cream
Beyond Stores