Wine Cellar without cooling system - possible?

auroraborelisMay 30, 2012

I'm building a new house in Northern California and we will be including a wine cellar. It will be in the basement, which will eventually be climate controlled (at first it will be unfinished).

At the moment we have complete control over size, insulation and placement of the cellar so I'm looking for some overall planning advice. Also, I'm wondering if it is possible, with the right insulation, to build it in such a way that we do not require a cooling unit?

It will be completly subterrarian (one emergency exit window in entire 30x30ish basement) and if it is worthwhile i could plan it with three exterior walls.

Any initial planning suggestions?

Also, I should mention that we will be doing this as a mostly DIY project after the house is completed so I'm just trying to make sure we hav

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogoopogo

I sent you a PM.. Did you receive it?

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:24PM
auroraborelis

Strange, no, I didn't receive anything from you (just rechecked through my junk mail as well). I'll PM you and them maybe it will work.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:51PM
rosesinny(7a)

It is indeed possible and that's how they were built until recent years. My uncle was a builder in Napa and he simply cut out some of the rock under his home. The temp is constant and the wine is fine.

You want to avoid fluctuation and ignore the people who tell you slow fluctuation is OK, fast is bad. They're wrong. It's the change in temp that matters, not the speed of it. Depending on where you are in N. Cal, you can probably be just fine. I have friends in San Francisco who simply keep their wine in their garage - some places are cool enough year round that it works.

So if you're giving yourself time, measure the temps where you want to build the cellar and keep a log over a year or so. If you're consistently around 60 or less, you're good. If you're like me, and you're 60 or less several months and several months you're a lot higher, then add a cooling unit that you'll use for several months.

Good luck!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:50PM
msdos

Sure, it will be fine. Like the person said before, that's what they did before cooling was an option.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
Peach Wine
Something new for me...found a recipe online to take...
jillhk
Passive wine cellar with XPS - condensation problem
I am building a passive wine cellar in a basement cold...
andrewzytic
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
any additive/chemical-free wines?
I did an internet search to see if any country forbade...
usafarmer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™