sulfites

otomato-oApril 10, 2006

"this bottle of wine contains sulfites"..what are sulfites and what harm can they do if i drink the wine they are in?

ruth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

Sulfites are usually added to wine as a preservative / stabilizer. What the sulfites (like potassium metabisulphite) do is to release a bit of sulfer dioxide into solution which both kills and inhibits the growth of certain yeasts, mold and bacteria. It also helps slow down oxidation in wines.

Sulfites are naturally occurring during wine fermentation in small amounts and wine makers add some more (in the parts per million range, if I remember correctly) to help make sure that the wine doesn't do things like turn into vinegar in the bottle.

What harm they can do depends on if you are allergic / sensitive to sulfites. For most people, there is no reaction at all and no harm is done (things like dried fruit have at least as much sulfite added). If you have an allergy or are very sensitive to sulfites, the usual reaction is something like an asthmatic attack - your throat begins to tighten and it gets a bit tougher to breathe. In severe allergic reactions, you could be sick for days or be sent to the hospital to get help breathing but this is relatively rare unless you know you have an allergy - kids usually have raisins with sulfites before they have a glass of wine ;).

    Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I am mildly allergic to sulfites. Dried apples with sulfites added to prevent browning will set off the asthma-like response mentioned by Makalu. Many fresh salsa preparations have enough sulfites to cause me trouble. Fortunately it passes quickly.

On the other hand, several glasses of wine will give me a slightly stuffy nose. Obviously the amount present is very small. It is possible to buy wine without sulfites in healthfood stores and better wine stores.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 7:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
winemaster

They also cause head-aches in some people.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cherigw(Z7 OK)

Headaches?? Was visiting my cousin in the Baltimore area (he makes his own). . .we consumed copious bottles of red. . .no headaches. I asked him if he knew why. . .and he said most home vintners use less sulfites than commercial bottlers and that sulfites can cause the headaches. How I wish I could bring back cases of his stuff!!

    Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 7:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

I had a roommate who dated a Napa winemaker... once he came over and spent the night before showering after work. The next morning she had the worst hives I have ever seen in my life, we inspected her bed, found sulfite crumbs. (what did he do roll in the stuff?) we changed the sheets... when she woke up the next morning after that with the same hives, we had to flip the mattress. I don't do sulfites anymore.

    Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 11:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseto

Aerating the wine in a large open container will frequently allow the sulfite gas to dissipate. Like most foods read the label too.

    Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Just about any red wine has sulfites in it whether it says so on the label or not. Even if there isn't any sulfite added to the wine, yeast generate some so2 as a matter of course. But potasium metabisulfite is pretty much a requirement for making red wine.

Sulfites get a lot of undeserved bad reputation. It's usually NOT the sulfites that give people headaches.

    Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 3:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eggafooz

Is adding Sulfites a U.S. thing? My wife travels to France 4 -5 times a year and always brings back wine. I don't want to sound snobbish but a 5 euro bottle from France is usually better than a $40 bottle form here.

    Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 9:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesinny(7a)

eggafooz - no.

Sulfites can be naturally occuring. In addition, sulfur is added to the wine to prevent oxygenation. Oxygen is bad for wine and will ruin it. So some people add a lot of sulfur. In addition, the grapes are often dusted with "Bordeaux mixture" to prevent disease, which is copper and sulfur and was developed in France, so even if nothing is added, the juice will have sulfur.

UC Davis preached clean winemaking, so wineries in the US are physically quite clean - not the case in Europe, where they range from clean to filthy. But filth adds another element. In Chateauneuf du Pape, for example, the wineries are not clean and a lot of what we consider a typical aroma is actually due to brettanomyces.

In addition, CdP usually includes a great deal of grenache, which is a fantastic grape. However, it is prone to oxidation so winemakers add more sulfur than they might if the grape were cab sauvignon, for example.

So you get sulfur compounds from lots of places.

Some people claim that it gives them headaches. Possibly. But the amounts added tend to be small. I think most of those people just have the headache from the alcohol.

As far as a 5 euro bottle being better than a $40 bottle here - come on. A statement like that can't really be serious. I generally taste several thousand wines a year from all over the world. So I have a pretty good idea of what a 5 euro bottle is like from most winemaking countries in Europe.

    Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_eyed_fish

I have asthma and have noticed that I have an occasional asthma attack shortly after drinking red wine due to the sulfites. Not a huge deal, I just try not to drink too much of it.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 11:14AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Not too dry - Not too sweet
Looking for a nice red wine to enjoy a glass every...
pink_warm_mama_1
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
Wine Fridge Recommendation?
Hello - I am going to bite the bullet and buy a wine...
pwellsy
moving old grape vines
We live in my husband's grandmother's house and the...
martienne17
Sponsored Products
"Vintage" Chocolates
$39.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™