New vinyl replacement windows - why so hard??

bittersweetdreamsMarch 1, 2011

This is definitely the most difficult home improvement decision we have ever had to make. We're just not comparing apples to apples - and I understand installation skills mean everything to the windows we replace.

We are looking at replacing 13 double hung aluminum clad wood windows with either Vivinco, Simonton 5500, Winco 7700, or Stanek windows. We go from a range of $6,000 to over $12,000. All Low E argon. All have the 7/8 glass. I'm pretty surprised the Stanek warranty is non-transferable.

We are not intending to leave our house 'feet first' as one of the sales guys asked. We do want to get rid of our terribly drafty windows that have lost their seals and sometimes even get frost on them. Any suggestions for how to make a good choice?

I feel so much is based on the quality of the installation. We are replacing these into a house that is aluminum sided - no j channel. They are quoting us a aluminum wrap around the old frame to dress everything up and then good calk.

Any advise you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

My short list of windows to consider if you want vinyl would be Sunrise, Softlite, Okna, Gorell and Simonton. There are other good windows available but you can't go wrong with these brands assuming a quality installation.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 4:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasredhead

Do I understand that you have double pane windows now that "have lost their seal?" If this is the case, I would try to find out why? Have no idea where you live and am only aware of the Simonton brand which runs between wonderful and awful on other posts on this board.

We happen to have 10 year old PlyGem windows that look as good as the time they were installed. Our house is so tight that we have to open a couple of windows to let in fresh air.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
need window advice about a retro fit window in new opening thats finis
can i put a retro fit in a new window opening if i...
abatt64
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Sponsored Products
Wooster Pendant by Innermost
$382.50 | Lumens
Steve Madden Shana European Sham - 204184
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Vanilla Metallic - Satin Plum Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Nebbia White Glass Nickel LED Tech Lighting MonoRail Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Beam Mahogany 120 to 170-Inch Double Curtain Rod
$99.95 | Bellacor
Alliyah Handmade Hongkong Red New Zealand Blend Wool Rug5' x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™