Wine Suggestions for Usual Non-Drinker

rivkadr(SoCal)April 21, 2006

I don't normally drink alcohol of any sort -- I've just never acquired the taste for it. But I need to drink some wine next week (don't ask why; it's a legitimate reason that I prefer not to go into; and no, grape juice won't do), and am in search of a wine that would be appealing to one who doesn't really like the taste of alcohol. Do you have any suggestions for a wine that is sweet tasting, and doesn't taste strongly of alcohol? A good "beginner" wine? And hopefully something I can easily find at Trader Joes or a local grocery store.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fedup321(7 NC)

lol...good luck...This question of yours...sounds like a topic on the old game show.."I've got a secret"...I assume by the last part of your suggestion is that you want to buy something at a local store? If your going to try to impress someone with wine for dinner (just a guess).Why don't you just ask them what they pefer..that way you can please them and pour a glass for you and fake it..pretend to drink it..and if you get a chance water a flower with it or pour it down the sink..On the other hand..If you HAVE to drink it..and you're going to buy it..for YOUR pleasure.... Never mind...I give up... Whats the "legitimate" REASON??..lol

Maybe a white zin with a little sugar mixed in?? Or a bottle of Thunderbird?

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 1:02AM
rivkadr(SoCal)

Nope, not for someone else, it's for me :)

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 1:58PM
centralcacyclist

Beginner wine, eh? How about a Dubonnet on the rocks? Or a spritzer of equal parts 7-Up and white wine with a twist of lime? A dessert wine like Muscat might be good. Quady Essensia Orange Muscat, maybe. Really sweet, though. Less sweet than a dessert wine but still sweet is Gewurztraminer. Blue Nun (Liebfraumilch) was the classic beginner wine of the 70s twenty-somethings. Sweet again, drink chilled. Riesling and Viognier will also be on the sweet side.

You could always go for the 80s decade beginner wine: Sutter Home White Zinfandel. Koolaid for grown-ups.

If you want to bother you could make a Kir Royale: 1 part creme de cassis, 5 parts sparkling wine. Put the creme de cassis in the flute first and then gently pour in the sparkling wine. Or drink some Ballatore, a sweet dessert sparkling wine. Bubbly and sweet.

Whatever you do, don't drink too much of any of this sweet stuff! You might end up with a headache.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 4:12PM
rivkadr(SoCal)

How much is too much? ;) Thanks for the suggestions! This definitely gives me something to work with.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 11:20PM
centralcacyclist

More than two 8 ounce glasses will probably be too much. Make sure you eat something before you drink and while you sip. Remember that women metabolize alcohol differently than men, they get drunker faster on less and it has nothing to do with body mass.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 11:37PM
bonelady(Chicago, IL)

For a light white wine tray a Pinot Grigio. It is lower alcohol and lightere than most whites.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 1:34PM
centralcacyclist

What did you end up drinking?

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 1:19PM
timgoodin(W KY z6)

I'd recommend a White Zinfendel (labeled sweet or semi sweet at least). My wife finds she likes a sweet sparkling wine, the "fiz" covers up some of the alcohol taste and looks elegant like Champaign. Unfortunately most Champaign's are dry but occasionally you can find a sweet sparkling wine. Austi Spumonti can be tolerable. Just be careful and don't do more than 2 glasses sipped. I found over the years that wine was an acquired taste.

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 7:11PM
winemaster

Don't mix !

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 12:14PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Why hasn't anybody suggested a German Riesling? That's what got me (and a lot of other folks) into wines. This was back in the stone ages, before White Zinfandel, which is probably most younger people's "starter wine."

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 12:26PM
centralcacyclist

I did suggest a Riesling! I'd love to know what was finally consumed and why!

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 12:54PM
bizzarbazzar(3/4)

I would love to know what was decided on as well. I would have suggested a nice (sweet) dessert wine like a muscat. IMHO

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 1:38AM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Oops, sorry, barnmom. I guess I didn't see it the first time around.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
Peach Wine
Something new for me...found a recipe online to take...
jillhk
Powdery Mildew
Hello, I am wondering what would the best powdery mildew...
Kit.578
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
A source for new 2L pop bottles?
Hi all! I would like to purchase around 100 new bottles...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Sonoma Kenton Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$279.00 | Bellacor
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Bear Nap Time - Girl - PBNP-G
$108.99 | Hayneedle
'It's OK to Wine a Little' Wood Plaque
$7.99 | zulily
Indoor/Outdoor Luau Ivory Stripes Rug (2' x 6')
Overstock.com
Cordelia Dining Armchair in Light Gray
$249.00 | LexMod
New Geometric Afghan Baluch Hand Knotted Wool Runner Oxford Blue Rug Free P
BH Sun Inc
Kimono 6-Light Chandelier by George Kovacs
$390.00 | Lumens
Slippery Fish Bottle Opener
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™