Carbonated wine?

nugardnrinncMarch 15, 2011

I made my first batch of wine last fall with the help of a friend whose family has done it for many years. Well it turned out great. Even my friend thought it was something quite special, all in the grapes I guess. Anyway the wine is quite bubbly, the corks even make a slight pop when you pull them out. My friend wasn't sure why this happened. He said his aren't this way and we used all his ingredients. Anyone know why this would happen? I'm pretty sure the fermentation had stopped before bottling as it was in a carboy for 4 months.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hillbilly_hydro

maloactive fermentation more than likely it will sometimes happen after bottling if there is no sediment in your bottles then thats what it is ...if there is sediment then it started fermenting again.

Here is a link that might be useful: my web site

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 6:02AM
jmsimpson9(CA 8/9)

Your lucky. Exploding bottles, blown out corks and a fountain of wine is not alot of fun to clean up.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 5:05PM
nugardnrinnc

Thanks guys. I've heard a few horror stories of exploding wine. There is a small amount of sediments in the bottles. I thought it was just tannins settling out. I thought for sure it was carbonation, because it almost has a champagne taste, the bubbliness anyway. But I'm no expert, I've never even drank wine until now. Never really cared for the taste. This batch turned out great. Hopefully the batch I'm making on my own now turns out as good. I think I will add some campden before bottling this time so I don't have to worry about explosions.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 9:42PM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

You have still got some fermentation in the bottles after corking. Not enough to pop the corks, but enough to make the CO2 in the bottle. We do this on purpose when we make beer but it has to be measured very carefully.

Next time, use a hydrometer before you bottle or add sulphite (campden) to the wine to kill the yeast so it doesn't keep working after you bottle or use a filter fine enough for yeast. You were lucky this time. Four months is not long enough to guarantee no fermentation.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Can wine be bottled in crown-cap beer bottles?
Greetings all: I'm fairly experienced in home brewing...
arley_gw
Not too dry - Not too sweet
Looking for a nice red wine to enjoy a glass every...
pink_warm_mama_1
Powdery Mildew
Hello, I am wondering what would the best powdery mildew...
Kit.578
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
moving old grape vines
We live in my husband's grandmother's house and the...
martienne17
Sponsored Products
Blanco Kitchen Diamond Dual Mount Composite 15x15x8 1-Hole Single Bowl Bar Sink
Home Depot
Emile Henry 4 qt. Lasagna Dish - Slate - 799632
$70.00 | Hayneedle
Peking Handicraft Rugs & Pillows Lily Pink Embroidered Pillow
$110.00 | LuxeDecor
Yoda Ceramic Shot Glass
$5.99 | zulily
Jura Capresso Impressa Z7 Coffee and Espresso Maker - 13549
Hayneedle