I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.

bricore(35131)March 17, 2013

I bought 4 grape vines about 2 wks. ago (Thompson and Flame). They did have a small amount of new growth coming out of them. I planted them in a big pot (wasn't ready to plant them in the ground yet) and watered them. The very next day you could see (on 2 of them) that the new grow wasn't happy (turning yellowish/brown.) The new grow just withered away. The other two I bought are doing the same thing but slower.

Can I save them? What should I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogoopogo

Try asking this question on the gardening side.. This forum isn't very active.. : (

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:13PM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Not sure what your climate is - however, I'll share my own experiences with Thompson and Chardonnay types.

The Thompson was planted on an arbor - this is it's 3rd spring. Actually, It didn't look like it was going to survive either. Some one said they get "Pierce" disease, and I assumed that was the problem. The main vines got all spotty - and the leaves looked awful. I learned grapes need severe pruning - (90 %) - so whacked it pretty hard and said a prayer.

This spring - I tossed some aged chicken manure at it - even tho it looked almost dead. Well - the sun came out - the weather got warmer and now the entire arbor is full of vines.

So maybe it's just a quirk - but for now I'm hopeful.

The Chardonnays are in another spot - an arbor next to the house that reflects southern sunshine - and is looking very well. My only concern is - that my location - 6 blks from the ocean - with summer fog - may not be to their liking. But who knows - perhaps this year they will be stronger.

I suspect they like a lot of heat.

bejay

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:11AM
creativesolver

Were they indoors when you bought them? Sometimes they take a few days to acclimate to being put outside. We usually do this with plants slowly, in steps but they may come back with new growth once they adapt. It has been my experience that grapes are fairly hardy and hard to kill. I would plant them in the ground as soon as possible, keep them from completely drying out and try not to watch them too hard. They may come back in the summer and surprise you.

Bookmark   on Tuesday at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Ph buffer solution??
I just ordered a pH meter for measuring the acid/alkaline...
bejay9_10
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
Not too dry - Not too sweet
Looking for a nice red wine to enjoy a glass every...
pink_warm_mama_1
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
making wine jelly
My 2011 homegrown grape wines are wonderful- I don't...
cleocrafta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™