I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.

bricore(35131)March 17, 2013

I bought 4 grape vines about 2 wks. ago (Thompson and Flame). They did have a small amount of new growth coming out of them. I planted them in a big pot (wasn't ready to plant them in the ground yet) and watered them. The very next day you could see (on 2 of them) that the new grow wasn't happy (turning yellowish/brown.) The new grow just withered away. The other two I bought are doing the same thing but slower.

Can I save them? What should I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogoopogo

Try asking this question on the gardening side.. This forum isn't very active.. : (

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Not sure what your climate is - however, I'll share my own experiences with Thompson and Chardonnay types.

The Thompson was planted on an arbor - this is it's 3rd spring. Actually, It didn't look like it was going to survive either. Some one said they get "Pierce" disease, and I assumed that was the problem. The main vines got all spotty - and the leaves looked awful. I learned grapes need severe pruning - (90 %) - so whacked it pretty hard and said a prayer.

This spring - I tossed some aged chicken manure at it - even tho it looked almost dead. Well - the sun came out - the weather got warmer and now the entire arbor is full of vines.

So maybe it's just a quirk - but for now I'm hopeful.

The Chardonnays are in another spot - an arbor next to the house that reflects southern sunshine - and is looking very well. My only concern is - that my location - 6 blks from the ocean - with summer fog - may not be to their liking. But who knows - perhaps this year they will be stronger.

I suspect they like a lot of heat.

bejay

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
making wine jelly
My 2011 homegrown grape wines are wonderful- I don't...
cleocrafta
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
Wine Fridge Recommendation?
Hello - I am going to bite the bullet and buy a wine...
pwellsy
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™