What to do with stuck wine?

bejay9_10(zone 9/10)March 13, 2012

After several batches of Skeeter's Pee (lime wine) that were really tough to get fermenting, I finally had one which resisted all efforts - mainly because I took a bad fall, and was unable to baby it back to life in time

Now that I'm feeling better, the important thing is to try to salvage the ingredients - if possible.

All of the ingredients were added campden tabs, yeast nutrient and yeast, etc., up to initial ferment period, so not sure if the batch can be safely ingested. I wondered if it could be siphoned to remove most of lees, then boil the contents to make a lime simple syrup - sure hate to lose all that sugar, but again - if there is a chance that this mixture could be harmful, would hate to do it.

Your thoughts?

Bejay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Well, well. This a.m. I checked the carboy - with airlock still in place - what do you know, it started bubbling all by itself. Of course, now I still am not sure what the final result will be, but at least - somethings happening!

Thanks anyway.

Bejay

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:55PM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

Have you tried adding yeast nutrient to them to get them started faster? What kind of yeast are you using?

I think it will be fine. I have had wines stop before too, mostly due to cold in the winter in my kitchen. When it warms up again, they start up again. Occasionally I have added more yeast and nutrient to get it going again but most of the time they are fine on their own if left alone. Sometime you get a very slow ferment for some reason, so slow there are barely any bubbles for awhile.

If it truly stops, try adding a little yeast and nutrient to get it going again.

If you think it has sat for too long and oxidized, I don't think you can save it but it would be brown.

If it is still clear and looks good and you have doubts about safety, I don't see why you couldn't rack it, boil it and start again with new yeast when it cools down. Novel idea but it makes sense to me.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 7:40AM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Thank you for your recent posting. Yesterday, I racked it after adding Sparkleoid about 7 or 8 days previously. It looks and tastes fine. The lime tree is still producing a large amount of fruit, so might as well give it another go.

This time, it should start ferment a bit sooner, now that the weather is becoming warmer, but at least now I know this wine's particular habit.

Bejay

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Wine room - how to deal with heat/ac ducts
I have a small room (8 x 10) in the basement of my...
daf999999
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
Suggestions for reliable Black Wine selling location
My grandfather is coming to town next week and he is...
Topectepech1944
I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.
I bought 4 grape vines about 2 wks. ago (Thompson and...
bricore
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™