Can you help me pick a wine?

jcrowley99February 18, 2009

Hi! I usually hang out on the cooking forum, but one of the members suggesting posting here on the wine forum. I had not even realized there was a wine forum! Can anyone here help me decide which of these wines would make the best gift?

I am going to a surprise 40th birthday party for a friend of mine. She loves wine and I thought I would give her a bottle from my cellar. I don't really know anything about wines, just what I like. I tried researching on the internet, but since the ones I have appear to be out of stock, I had trouble finding info on them. I was wondering if anyone here might be familiar with any of the wines I was thinking of. Here are my choices:

1. Ridge Lytton Estate 2002 California Grenache/ Syrah

2. Château Souverain 2003 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

3. Merryvale Starmont 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

I have not tried any of them; I only acquired one bottle of each, so I'm not sure which would be best for such a special occasion. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Joanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krator(Toronto Canada)

WIth any gift I like to give something that the person wouldn't splurge on themselves. If it's wine she likes, what about a bottle of champagne? I havent met a woman yet who isn't in love with the stuff. I can offer some suggestions if you'd like.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 12:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesinny(7a)

"1. Ridge Lytton Estate 2002 California Grenache/ Syrah

2. Château Souverain 2003 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

3. Merryvale Starmont 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley "

Ridge is one of the great wineries in CA. Respected all around the world. That wine is, or was, only available to people who bought directly from the winery since not much was available. I never loved it as much as I wanted to, but it was nonetheless a decent wine and if your friend really loves wine, she'd be happy to get a bottle, esp as it shows a thoughtfulness, i.e. you can't just walk into any store and buy it.

Souverain - not a bad wine for what it is. 2003 wasn't a great year in the area and it's a fairly widely available wine. Not special enough.

Merryvale Starmont - a better year overall than the 2003, but still not special enough as a winery. A little too pedestrian for a gift.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Powdery Mildew
Hello, I am wondering what would the best powdery mildew...
Kit.578
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
fermentation
Hello, I am a newbie at this and am making my first...
winenewbie
Wine Fridge Recommendation?
Hello - I am going to bite the bullet and buy a wine...
pwellsy
Sponsored Products
Stufurhome 36" Alicia Single Sink Vanity with Black Galaxy Granite Top and Mirro
Modern Bathroom
Knoll | Ross Lovegrove 48-In. Round Table
YLiving.com
Glass Globe Pendant Lamps for Dining Room
ParrotUncle
Hinkley Lighting | Shelter LED Outdoor Pendant Light
$319.00 | YLighting
AF Lighting Black Crystal 8123-1H Teardrop Pendant - 8123-1H
$278.00 | Hayneedle
LNR Home Adana Black/ Cream Oriental Rug (9'1 Round)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™