Hop vines

garbird(zone6 KY)January 17, 2006

I know I'm a little off subject, but does anyone know where to buy hop plants used for home brewing? I imported some from Europe last year, but none of them grew. Thanks, garbird

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robynlacy

I have bought them from http://www.freshops.com/
they have a good stock

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 12:43AM
francis_eric(5 Illinois)

You might want to check up on that Im not sure about hops, but I read that grape vines imported from the USA to Europe brought some kind of pest, and they need to be grafted on to a root stock of Eropean grape varieties.

Somthing I read happend with Eropean vines over here they said it could bring diseases to grape vines if not grafted first----- maybe vis sa ver sa

pfaf.org --------Im pretty sure

I seen somthing about substitutes they used to use, Im not saying you should I think this site is interesting though
Pick the UK data base or the US data base----=(for some reason it's a UK site, but more options are for the US data base )---- go to the bottom of the page, and search beer, tea, wine, chocolate, migranes, composting just about any thing you can think of involving problems or other things.

Bookmark   January 20, 2006 at 4:02AM
moko(z6AR)

Speaking of substitutes, their is a little known shrub that grows along our pastures near the river called ( Ptelea Trifolata ) Hops Tree, they used to use it as the bittering agent for making beer when no hops were available.

I'm going to try making beer out of it next summer when the seeds have matured, my only delima is, should they be green or dried when used, I'm thinking green. Well anyway, I have seed of this small tree for anyone wishing to grow it for them selves for SASE.

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 2:10PM
francis_eric(5 Illinois)

I found it on their if you go to that site for some reason or the other you have to click US DATA BASE(thats where I found it)than you should go down to word of phrase I went to scientific names, and nothing showed than type in beer, and this is what I saw.

Ptelea Trifolata--- A decidious tree growing to 6m by 6m at a slow rate. It is hardy to zone 5 and is frost tender. It is in flower from June to July, and the seeds ripen from October to November.

Fruit. A very bitter flavour, though it is eaten by young children[161]. The fruit is also used as a hop substitute when making beer and it is added to yeast to make it rise more quickly when making bread[2, 159, 183]. The fruit is produced abundantly in Britain[61], though very little of it is fertile[11]. The fruit is very thin and about 25mm long[200].

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame[200]. Stored seed requires 3 months cold stratification at 5°c and should be sown as early as possible in the year[113]. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in light shade in the cold frame for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. Very little of the seed produced in Britain is viable[11].

The root-bark is anthelmintic, antibacterial, antiperiodic, stomachic and tonic[4, 21, 46, 82, 238]. It has been mixed with other medicines in order to give added potency[213, 222, 257]. It has a soothing influence on the mucous membranes and promotes the appetite, being tolerated when other tonics cannot be retained[4]. It is also taken in the treatment of intermittent fevers such as malaria, heartburn, roundworms, pinworms and poor digestion[238]. Externally it is applied to wounds[238]. The roots are harvested in the autumn, the bark peeled off and dried for later use

The roots are a tonic, used in the treatment of asthmatic breathing, fevers, poor appetite etc

THE SEEDS I LIKE TEA BITTER so maybe they would make a good tea, I just looked at your profile I don;t know if it would be native to Illinois being in Arkansas, but I will try to find out Ive been their, and it's nice out their, but also If you wouldn't mind I would like other seeds or cuttings you might think would make a good wine wild flowers sound nice also--- just a example this web site jackkeller.net won 3rd---(their is two higher places than 1st)----for burdock wine the seeds of them.

Speaking of edible things I want to start forging if you know about plants, and are willing to send me some seeds send me some ones your sure are safe Im about to ask a forager so I can make sure their edible.

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 11:08AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Richters sells hops.

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 11:21AM
wolfe15136(z6 PA)

If you're anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA, come and dig some up. I have plenty and they grow very well. They came with the house when I bought it. The house is 100 years old, and the neighborhood was German, but I have no idea of the variety of the hops.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 9:54AM
kjclark(z4 MN)

Northern Brewers , our local brew shop in MN, is selling hop rhizomes right now. They ship direct to you from a grower in Oregon. Their web site is very nice.

Karl

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 3:45PM
garbird(zone6 KY)

Thank you all for your help. I purchased rhizomes from Northern Brewers and they are all up and growing. They sold me very nice quality products. Thanks again to everyone, Garbird

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 9:40PM
garbird(zone6 KY)

Thank you all for your help. I purchased rhizomes from Northern Brewers and they are all up and growing. They sold me very nice quality products. Thanks again to everyone, Garbird

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 9:41PM
mistymeadowminis_aol_com

Does anyone know of where I may purchase these in the state of FL?

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Can wine be bottled in crown-cap beer bottles?
Greetings all: I'm fairly experienced in home brewing...
arley_gw
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
wine corks
My niece and I are making crafts for Christmas and...
olered68
What's your favorite cheap wine?
The Wal-Mart has inspired me to ask this question. Specifically,...
cecilia_md7a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™