Window treatment advice?

jellybenAugust 13, 2014

I haven't been here in years, but now we've got a new home and new decorating challenges so I will probably be here a lot!
Our family room has these 4 windows(hopefully picture will show up) and I'm stumped. They have no moulding around them and I think a panel on each side would leave too much blank space above. Any thoughts? I love roman shades, but not sure inside or outside mount? I wild love some input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theclose

Well, depends on the look you want, as well as the functionality you are after. If that was my space and I wanted the treatments to be able to be opened and closed easily and at various times of day, I would say two large panels on a traverse rod. I had that in my former living room and now in my family room. If I wanted to treat each window individually, I would either inside mount roman shades (if you have the depth on the inside), or outside mount close to the crown molding.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:19PM
graywings123

You need to first decide what you are trying to accomplish with the window treatments. If the mini blinds were gone, would you need privacy or light control from the new window coverings? Are you willing to keep the current blinds and add panels? Stationary panels on the sides would look fine, in my opinion.

It helps to know what style of furniture you have in the room. That should affect what you choose for the windows.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:54PM
jellyben

Thanks to you both. The furniture in the room right now is from our old formal LR during my brief French Country phase, probably will be replaced in a year or 2, maybe with a leather couch but definitely more casual. The WT really need to just be decorative- I find I always keep the blinds up and I'm not opposed to taking them down. I don't want anything too fussy. In my old house I had all panels but just worry about all that space above the 4 windows with nothing but a rod!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 1:32PM
ediej1209

What about tailored valances over linen pull-down shades running within each window? That way you can adjust each individually depending on lighting needs.
Edie

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 1:56PM
Annie Deighnaugh

You can mount a long rod near the ceiling with dummy side panels on the outside, then outside mount wooden shades butted together near the rod to fill in the gap between the window top and the rod.

Mediterranean Bedroom by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Tucker & Marks

Contemporary Bedroom

Or you can mount a single valance across the entire 4 windows, covering the window tops and then hide inside mount blinds/duettes underneath so only the valance would be visible during the day. (This valance may not be your style or color, but just to give you the idea.)

Traditional Dining Room by Northborough Window Treatments KH Window Fashions, Inc.

If you want to look for more window treatment ideas, ther is an old thread on it, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window treatment ideas

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:21PM
    Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:55PM
lizbeth-gardener

I love your suggestions, Annie! (except for the valance). The treatments you show add such a warm, finished feel to the rooms and also seem to cover all bases: function well for privacy or view, classy and they cleverly conceal the lack of a window frame.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:24PM
jellyben

Wow! Annie, the panel/blind look is perfect. I get the panels I love but also something to fill in the top. I wonder if I could do as in the second picture-patterned roman shades and then a solid neutral panel? Or if the patterned roman shades would be too much since it would cover so much space?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:44PM
Annie Deighnaugh

You certainly can do a pattern, but don't let it go too bold.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - I hate it!!
I'm painting a few pieces of furniture for my daughters...
aggierose
SW Kilm Beige
If you have used this color, would you please tell...
boystown
What is this called?
I am trying to search out sectionals that have this...
RoseAbbey
Anyone Dislike Their Memory Foam Mattress?
After 4-5yrs of having it DH and I looked at each other...
ttodd
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Sponsored Products
Mecca Brown 50 x 84-Inch Printed Curtain
$85.95 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Natco Rugs Kurdamir Damask Black 5 ft. 3 in. x
Home Depot
Radiance Silk Curtain 108"L
$269.90 | Horchow
Dakota Flushmount by Feiss
$168.00 | Lumens
Chicology Provence Double Rail Sliding Panel Set - DRSPPV1
$174.99 | Hayneedle
Bali Casual Classics Roman Shades: Plume
Blindsgalore
Lewis Crowning Antique Gold Adjustable Curtain Rod Set
Overstock.com
Momeni Blinds & Shades City Life Collection Paprika 3 ft. 3 in. x 5 ft. 3 in.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™