What are you using to ferment your fruit in?

berk(6 MO)January 30, 2009

Hello, Just wondering what sort of container you are using for fermenting your fruit in.

We have a 15 gal. crock for now but have borrowed it from a friend.

Our friend has now decided he would like to try making wine too so we need to return it to him.

The problem is the place he bought it no longer sells them and I have no idea what else I could use.

We make 5-6 gallons at a time.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fedup321(7 NC)

berk, A food grade plastic bucket is what I use. Any winemaking equipment store has them. I take it that your from Missouri as your page indicates. Here is a link from you state...There are cheaper one available..

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting bucketl

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 12:47PM
berk(6 MO)

Thanks for the link and I will show it to my husband. I had never seen a bucket one like that before, so it may be just what we need now.

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 5:07PM
oltex(7)

I use food grade plastic buckets that I get free from a bakery. They get icing in 3 gal. buckets. After cleaning thoroughly they work fine and the price is right. Check with bakeries, restaurants, etc. in your area. You can find them in 5 gal. also. Just stay away from pickle buckets....hard to gtet the pickle smell out.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 6:27PM
l_james(mo5)

I use 55gal. barrels that have only had carmel coloring in them, no flavorings. I cut the inside of the top out and use a sheet to keep fruit flys out.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 1:56AM
gardengrl(Northern Virginia)

Yes Berk, and FOOD grade 5-gal bucket will do. Do not use a non-food grade plastic bucket, as it can not only affect the taste of your wine, but it can potentially be unsafe.

If you're in Missouri, there's quite a bit of vine country out there with wine/brew hobby stores. I used to travel to St. Louis for work and would go vinyard hoping when I had time.

Have fun!

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
making wine jelly
My 2011 homegrown grape wines are wonderful- I don't...
cleocrafta
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
What's your favorite cheap wine?
The Wal-Mart has inspired me to ask this question. Specifically,...
cecilia_md7a
Peach Wine
Something new for me...found a recipe online to take...
jillhk
wine corks
My niece and I are making crafts for Christmas and...
olered68
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™