Getting Hitched Quick

OnMyWayDecember 10, 2005

I think the title is explanation enough, but I would like to explain. My fiance is in the military, and due to the way things are working out, we're trying to plan a wedding in....about 6 months. What do you girls think? Are we crazy for even considering this? Any advice?

I mean, it's going to happen, even if we are crazy, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions!

Alexa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duckie

Not crazy in the least. The FIRST thing you need to do is to make a budget. It doesn't need to be inflexable, but it probably does need to be written down to feel 'real'.

Then you need to figure out location and gown. Those two things can take the longest. After that, you will probably find the food/drink and honeymoon take the biggest chunk of your budget, so figure that out. Everything else can get fitted in after that.

Six months will be just fine, just be willing to make decisions. If you find three dresses you like, choose one. You have already determined that all the choices are good, so you won't pick something icky. People with more time than you can spend months trying on hundreds of gowns, looking for 'the one'. While that may lead to a beautiful gown, it might not always be worth the time. Luckily for you, you don't have time for the exhaustion.

Six months is on the short-normal side of wedding planning, so don't sweat it too much. When I read your title, I thought you wanted the wedding to be before Christmas. That is doable too, but a bit more tricky.

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 6:49AM
sweet_pea10

I am a wedding coordinator. I have planned lovely weddings in 5 or 6 weeks. As Duckie mentioned, 6 months is a fairly typical time range. The first thing to do (after setting a budget) is decide on the location/locations and get them booked. Once you know where the wedding will occur, you will know whether you need to hire a caterer and rent tables, chairs, linens, etc.

The second thing to do is choose the photographer. The good ones book quickly. Then begin working on the other details.

In my area the big wedding shows occur in early January. We have well over a 1,000 brides go through the two shows and suddenly all of them are in planning mode, so merchants book very quickly. If a similar situation occurs in your area, be sure that you book your location and as many merchants as possible before the wedding show season begins.

Good luck; you will do just fine.

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 1:08PM
naughtykitty

My roommates son is in the military as well and just planned a wedding in 10 days. They wanted to get married before he was deployed. So if htey could do it in 10 days, you can absolutely do it in 6 months!

Good luck and congrats!!!

Bookmark   December 12, 2005 at 6:14PM
talley_sue_nyc

choose the simplest possible choice every time.

And remember that often the simplest choice is "no"

Remember that every thing you choose to DO, adds layers and layers of decision making & expense.

If you decide to do favors, you have to decide what, and how much $, and how to wrap, and where to put them. Etc. If you don't do favors, bingo--no decisions.

Also delegate. You can delegate decision making by letting your vendor pick the table-cloth colors, or your florist create the centerpieces within a small set of parameters you might give her/him (no taller than 6", no bigger around than 10", blue, less than $X apiece).

That's great info about trying to get your place & photographer booked before Jan.! What a help, Sweet Pea!

Bookmark   December 13, 2005 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
What is your opinion on 'Farewell Sparklers'?
Have you used, are you going to use, or do you know...
Lindsey7
Shower for out of town bride
I am the mother of the bride. My daughter has moved...
tarpon
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
Shouldn't Parents Get a Thank You Note?
I'm wondering why I'm even asking this, but times have...
Karen10125
Thinking about not having a dinner
Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding,...
Chrissielou
Sponsored Products
Pine Cone Black 48-inch to 86-inch Curtain Rod
$29.95 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Decorators Collection
Stufurhome 36" Single Sink Vanity with Baltic Brown Granite Top And Mirror - Sno
Modern Bathroom
Venezia 12-Light Bronze Triple Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
A & L Furniture Recycled Plastic High Seat Adirondack Chair - 882-WW WEATHERED W
$275.00 | Hayneedle
48" Wickham Teak Double Vessel Sink Vanity
Signature Hardware
Worthy Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Oil Rubbed Bronze LED Picture Light 16" Tru-Slim
$183.00 | Cocoweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™