Replacement Windows - what material to choose

rrrobieMarch 19, 2011

Just bought a 20 year old house with drafty, leaky, single-pane aluminum windows in hot, humid south texas. Looking into replacement windows, I'm at a loss since all I seem to find in my research are the negatives of each product/material.

We have several circular windows, so apparently fiberglass is out.

Humidity and moisture and price make wood is an unlikely choice.

Fibrex by RBA is extremely expensive, but had an impressive sales pitch.

Aluminum conducts heat/cold.

Vinyl gets mixed reviews about durability.

Curious to hear for anyone with experience about what products they have worked with, and what material, or even specific brand they might recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Where are you in Texas?

Fiberglass is not technically out. Marvin does not make a 1/2 round in fiberglass but they do make on in wood.

You can check with other fiberglass manufacturers that may or may not make the half round in fiberglass.

Thermally broken aluminum is a very good option for Texas and has a proven track record. Don Young makes a pretty good aluminum product in Texas.

RBA is a "pretty" window but offers no material performance advantage over fiberglass, vinyl, aluminum, or wood for that matter. The RBA window performance is average, at best, and their warranty is below average when compared to the better brands out there.

Vinyl is still a very good option for your climate if it is good vinyl. The websites that are hosted by Renewal that talk about vinyl chipping, warping, fading, etc are pure bunk.

Regardless of material, you can find good and bad in each material. Take a quick survey of the board and you will find people with horror stories about wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, RBA, etc.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 7:43AM
dennisgli

Fibrex by RBA is extremely expensive, but had an impressive sales pitch.

I wouldn't judge Andersen based on an RBA sales pitch. Find a regular Andersen dealer for pricing and installer recommendations if you liked the Fibrex.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 1:31PM
helterskelter

Try looking at Duxton and InLine Fibreglass, they make both 1/2 rounds and circular windows out of fiberglass. They may be pricey...

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™