Commercial windows/sliders

rockybirdMarch 3, 2011

I have 128 linear feet of floor to ceiling glass that needs to be replaced. It is single pane original 1958. About half is 8x8 foot fixed pane, and half are 8x8 foot sliders.

I have quotes from several glass companies for Milgard aluminum, Fleetwood aluminum and Western Windows. Neither Milgard nor Fleetwood will do an 8 x 8 foot pane. The co.'s called other glass co. trying to find someone who will do an 8 x 8 ft. piece. Western will do it but, at a cost of 4100, no warranty. I have 7 of these, and that cost is too prohibitive.

I found a local commercial glass co. who will do it all for a great price. He says his glass pieces are thicker than Milgard and the sliders roll nicely. He also gave me a quote to replace the sliders with 4 foot glass pivot doors and I thought it was fair. His co. builds the product themselves. He offers a 1 yr. warranty, but says if anything goes wrong he will fix it after that. He did a lot of the nice restaurants in town. I really liked him and want to use him. I am a little worried about the warranty and am not sure about not using a big name company. Should I be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockybird

Just to respond to myself...I found out he uses a local glass co. with a good rep.-which makes me feel much better. Still considering using him vs. going with fleetwood. But I think my question is answered. It will come down to if I can lift and slide arcadias or possibly folding sliders and who has the best price if so.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 3:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Good luck.

Post up some pictures of the completed project.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
incorporating old leaded glass in new casement windows
We own a home with large leaded glass windows (21)...
prospect
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Sponsored Products
Matchstick Cocoa Bamboo Indoor/Outdoor Roll-up Blind
Overstock.com
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Undermount Stainless Steel 23x18x11 in. 0-Hole Single
Home Depot
40W 120V T10 E26 Frosted Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$2.99 | Lumens
WAC Modern Forms | Vitrine 12 Inch LED Outdoor Wall Light
$199.00 | YLighting
Chooty and Co Duck French Pink Pillow - C17K2019
$21.99 | Hayneedle