Painting Andersen Fibrex exterior

beemshakeMarch 9, 2010

I'm looking to replace our single-pane wood windows with insert/replacement windows. The catch is that the exterior of our current windows is painted a sort of crimson/maroon that I'd like to match. The Marvin Ultimates offer a aluminum shade that would probably work, but estimates I got have them running close to 50% more than the Andersen Woodwrights (~$650 vs ~$950 for a 28x42" double hung with simulated divided light). From what I've read, Andersen will allow painting of the terratone finish, but I found a post on here mentioning problems with paint flaking off. So, has anyone on here done it, and can you share your experience?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beemshake

Okay, doesn't look like anyone has done this. Anyone have thoughts on why it will/won't work?

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 11:50AM
eastbay10

From my experience, Marvin should be more competitive with Woodwright which is Andersen's higher end. I would get a few other quotes. As to painting the Andersen, you are getting into a maintenance issue similar to a wood exterior. Do you really want to do that with new low maintenance windows?

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 9:51AM
brycenesbitt

Apparently, for the Andersens you can paint any color except Cocoa Bean, Dark Bronze or Forest Green colored Fibrex. Reference the user manual under "Finishing guidelines for windows with Fibrex� material".

Here is a link that might be useful: User Manual Andersen Fibrex

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 5:35PM
toddinmn

Maybe check out the Anderson A-series which may take paint better with it fiberglass exterior or check out their E-series which has over 50 exterior color options.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™