How many bottles of wine do I need?

marie26November 26, 2005

The wedding is in a week and almost everything is planned. There will only be 18 adults at the wedding and we want to serve white and red wines. There will be wine served about 1/2 hour before the ceremony along with cheese/crackers and vegetable trays. The meal will be about 1/2 hour after the ceremony. During the 4 hours or so after the meal, I plan on having wine still available for anyone who wants it.

The sites I looked up said 1/2 bottle per person. Is this enough? Do places like Costco let you return unopened bottles? We did not want to offer any beer and the wedding is not at a restaurant-type place so there is no bar available. TIA for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

I'm pretty sure that a bottle of wine is about 7 glasses' worth, so 1/2 a bottle would give your average guest less than one drink an hour. While I don't drink, that doesn't seem like a lot to me. Personally I'd allow at least a full bottle per person and maybe a couple extra on principle, and plan on using any spares as generic holiday/hostess gifts.
Are you also serving something non-alcoholic, such as orange juice? Non-drinkers like me and those limiting their alcohol intake would appreciate it :-)

Bookmark   November 26, 2005 at 2:37AM
JerriEllijay

Why not choose wines both you and your fiance like, that way you won't have to worry about buying too much.

I don't think 1/2 bottle for prewedding, dinner and post dinner is nearly enough. At the bare minimum I would order at least 18 bottles, that's only 1 1/2 cases. Remember, most places give you a 10% case discount. A lot of your decision will also depend on how many non-drinkers you have. You may also want to have a few bottles of champagne available for wedding cake and toasts.

If dinner is going to be something that goes with red wine than 67% of the wine should probably be red. If dinner is roasted chicken or lobster, I would do 100% white, plus champagne.

If you run out of wine just after dinner, I suspect your guests will depart shortly after - which may or may not be a good thing!

Good luck,

jerri

Bookmark   November 26, 2005 at 1:06PM
marie26

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. Half a bottle per person for the whole evening didn't seem like a lot. I will go with the 18 bottles and get champagne. How much champagne do I need for just the toast part?

Also, besides tea and coffee, I was thinking of purchasing diet and regular colas (Coke and a clear one), seltzer water, bottled water and orange juice (thanks for that idea). Have I missed any? How many of each do you think I need?

Bookmark   November 26, 2005 at 5:18PM
susanjf_gw

since you don't mention any children, i'd go with a 12 pack of each soda, waters, and juice.

for the champagne toast with the cake, allow your half bottle per person.

really, with only 18 guests you pretty much know them very well and can anticipate their needs, without any worries of overindulgence...

remember, most of the canned beverage can be chilled as needed...

Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 2:51AM
More Discussions
What to get for a wedding gift !!!
I have been invited to a wedding.The girl that is getting...
diana55
Greek wedding
Hi, My son is marrying into a wonderful, large, very...
robins143
Shouldn't Parents Get a Thank You Note?
I'm wondering why I'm even asking this, but times have...
Karen10125
Monetary wedding gift
What is an appropriate monetary amount to give for...
TerriJM
Only one not invited to wedding
A couple at my church that I thought were my friends...
jashley
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Arcturus Cool 1 Outdoor Throw Pillow - 16031-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
M I Hummel Full Speed Ahead Ornament
Overstock.com
Lights Up | Reza Pendant Light
$278.00 | YLighting
Embroidered Designer Shade White Beaded Mini Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Randy Hibberd 'Big City I' Framed Print
Overstock.com