Mesh ?'s for mosaic

curbdiver1954June 26, 2008

From my stash of...stuff, yea, that's the family-friendly word for it....from my life before mosaics took over, I have unearthed a partial roll of rug hooking mesh (about 1/4" squares), some netting (like is used for petticoats on dolls), and some needlepoint canvas/mesh (don't know the count per inch on this one...14/inch I think). Can I use any of these as a backing for a mosaic project? Thinking of trying my hand at gluing to mesh, then thinsetting the mesh on backerboard for behind the stove....just thinking, so far, and want to use what I've got in case I decide I don't like the method....

Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyronnie

I've never done it, but I don't see why you couldn't, with any or all of them!

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 10:38PM
klinger

I think it would work fine, There's a professional here who uses landscape cloth to glue his pieces on. Works great,
Cindy

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 12:54AM
texaswild

Yeah, that'd work. Recycle all you can find that fits your purpose. I've been toying w/the mesh idea for beads. There's some wonderful bead designs that w/work well just to plunk a whole design into the mosaic. I was thinking of the sticky mesh they use to cover seams in sheetrock - got some somewhere. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your backsplash.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 8:38AM
charocfl

Hi, I am thingking about doing my first attempt at a mosaic & was thinking about using vinal/plastic window screen as my backing for my mosaic. Note I want to make a mosaic for decorating a pool & thought this may work.

I fiugred the plastic/vinal window screen material would not be effected by the pool enviroment & yet should allow the mosaic to be attached to the pool surface with out any problems.

Apreciate any feedback on what process others use with their mosaic projects.

CharO, Central FL.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™