Composition of Trim

Glazed-and-ConfusedFebruary 25, 2013

Generally, is there a benefit to choosing enamel coated coil vs pvc coated coil for vinyl windows facing filtered sun? (Windows will be new replacement inserts.) What range price difference should one expect for10 DH windows, if any.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

I prefer the enamel coated trim because of its durability, lack of chalking, and ability to shed dirt.

It is a few bucks more for us but not a huge amount. We specify it as a standard on our end of things but if we were comparing apples to apples, it would probably be $5-10 more per window.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 8:22AM
toddinmn

PVC coil cost me about $5 a roll more. I Don't charge anything extra for it. it can stay a little cleaner looking and looks like a cleaner product.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 8:41AM
HomeSealed

I completely disagree that the PVC stays cleaner, and in fact that is my only complaint about it. It is a nice look to be sure, but I do get complaints from folks about how the texture collects dirt.

I most often see $5-$10 more per window, and I pay roughly $20 more per roll. There is a lot more waste as well, as it only comes with color on one side, whereas the back side of smooth is typically white and gets used up quickly. That factors into the cost premium as well.

Ultimately from a consumer benefit perspective, there is not a huge difference on way or the other.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Gigantic skylight needs replacing
A windstorm wisked away the living room skylight in...
coolbeansw
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™