New to being a step parent.

azurebJune 14, 2009

Dh is going to buy 15 yr old sd a $350 phone for her birthday, even though she has already lost TWO phones, one being 350 and the other 250 in less than two years. I think this is rediculous. If I say something, i know we will argue about it, but we dont really have the money for that anyway. What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lamom

Don't argue. Your Dh will probably buy it anyway and you will still have the hard feelings. A waste of energy and bad feelings.

Maybe you can discuss a gift giving budget? $350 phone for a 15 year old who if he doesn't lose it, will outgrow it or grow bored with it doesn't make a lot of financial sense but this isn't about what makes sense financially.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 2:30PM
imamommy

If he buys it, insist on insurance... at the rate she loses phones, he NEEDS it!

I'd have a hard time spending that much on my own phone, let alone a teenager. (If it isn't free with a 2 year agreement, my kids didn't get more than the free one... and if they lost it, I might let them buy a used one off craigslist or ebay and make them earn it. I don't understand spending that much on a kid's phone... overindulgence!)

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 4:07PM
mom2emall

That is a crazy amount to spend on a kids phone! I agree with the idea of getting insurance.

Do you have kids? How much do you both spend on their gifts?

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 5:21PM
azureb

I have 3 kids. 19,17 and 9. I spend at most $200 per bday. And since oldest is now 19 with a job, she will get less. I have not given any of my kids cell phones. That is something they earned themselves. If I buy something and they break it or lose it, I never replace it. What's wrong with teaching kids to be responsible? I have seen the effects of handing over everything a kid wants to them and they turn into people like my ex who won't do anything for themselves and expected everything handed to them. I guess if he wants his kids to grow up that way it will be his problem when they are 40 and calling Daddy for a hand out.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 5:37PM
kkny

Insurance is a great idea -- it doesnt cost that much, and well worth it with teens.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 6:08PM
sweeby

Here's the deal in a nutshell --

Hubby has a problem. He needs to buy his daughter something for her birthday, and he wants it to be something she'll like. He doesn't want to buy her clothes. So, in a man's view, that leave consumer electronics. If she's already got a computer and an iPod, that leaves a phone. And any phone that costs less than $350 is not one that she'll like.

End of story. As he sees it.

Unless YOU can come up with something his daughter will like as much as a $350 phone that HE also thinks is a great idea and can pretend he thought of it and bought it himself.

For what it's worth, I totally agree that a $350 phone for a teen with a history of losing them is utterly ridiculous.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 6:17PM
kkny

I can't understand why no insurance -- especially after the first lost one.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 6:34PM
azureb

Well he actually asked her what she wanted, and she said the phone. The model of phone and everything. Its a samsung shadow or something.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:46PM
mom2emall

Sweeby makes a good point. As long at this is her gift...not one of her gifts I think it is fine. Get insurance. If she breaks/loses the phone then she needs to earn the money for the replacement fee somehow.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
7 year old step son troubles please help
Hello everyone, I need some advise please. I have been...
Nikki27
how much child support do you pay?
Hi everyone. I have been a non-custodial stepmom for...
Mary
Can I handle becoming a stepmom one day?
I just turned 36 earlier this month. My boyfriend and...
Foxycf
How to Prevent Adult Children Living with You
If you and your spouse are of retirement age, move...
blueheron
adult step son and his girlfriend lives with us
i just want my privacy. we have never had any. met...
d.dee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™