CHoice of patio door for screened porch?

scrappy25February 9, 2014

I am thinking of adding a screened porch behind my dining room and preliminarily got estimates for replacing my two double hung windows with a French door. The proposals were s for Provia brand which I know is top of the line and I think the estimates were reasonable at less than 5k installed (custom sized to current window header, moving electrical outlet under the window,etc.). However that is still pretty pricey; I do not know how the door cost breaks down vs labor.

My question is, is there a less expensive door brand that would function just as satisfactorily in a protected space? It will be well protected by a roof over a large screened porch.

From the stock pictures it looks like there is a thin frame around the glass on the Provia doors, is that correct? I prefer a flush glazed appearance like that on the Andersen wood doors even though I know the Andersen's are inferior to the Provias. A gardenwebber on the building forum mentioned Plastpro french door as a door with a flush glazed appearance and showed some really nice pictures but that brand seems to be poorly regarded on this forum (see link below) Thermatru seems to be the runner up to Provia but again I believe it has that thin trim around the glass.

Any suggestions or should I just go for the Provia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Plastpro french door with flush glazed window style

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Provia is a nice door at the end of the day.

5K is not that expensive at the end of the day if I am moving electrical and for a custom sized opening.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:44AM
HomeSealed_WI

Not a bad price at the beginning of the day either, pretty aggressive actually for a great door and custom opening. There are a few manufacturers that offer flush-glazed slabs. Thermatru has them in select styles, and several different companies use plastpro for their base slabs as well.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 3:13PM
PRO

+1 actually.

We don't touch electrical and getting a licensed electrician out there to move it is going to cost you a pretty penny.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:39PM
scrappy25

OK. bottom line you guys are saying go for the Provia, I know the price was reasonable but was preferring the flush glazed look; sounds like that is not worth pursuing in your eyes.
thanks

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 10:28PM
HomeSealed_WI

The flush glazing is a nice look to be sure, but I'd go with the better door. That is a killer price on that door.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:08PM
PRO

I also like the flush look.

Either way, that is a great door.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Need help. Looking for window expert consultant in Minneapolis
We had our windows replaced (full replacement) and...
judyrk
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™