Window estimate

brerFebruary 14, 2013

I'm interested in having a wall air conditioner installed in the same room that I have three old large picture windows with awnings at the bottom. There are three more in the living room adjacent.

I got an estimate for a Panasonic KS24NKU which would need a new electric line put in, and siding repaired around the opening. The windows would be vinal picture windows with awning bottoms.

The estimate was for $17,000. Doesn't this sound a little high?
I live on Long Island, and my oil bill is about $700 in the winter months, probably losing some of the heat to these windows.

Any suggestions, or warnings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

What is the $17,000 estimate for? Read your questions, you give us ZERO information.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

So you have 6 sets of pw/awn combo units for 12 total units. Then, you have a cut-in AC unit being installed, including the electrical lines and everything?

As MWM said, there are way to many details missing here to say if that is high or not. In addition, I have no clue what an AC unit like that costs.
What I can say, is that the windows should probably run somewhere between $500-$900 per unit (x12) depending on options, install circumstances, etc. Could be more if they are loaded up with options, full frame tear-outs, etc, but for normal circumstances, I wouldn't expect that the window portion would account for more than maybe $10k on the higher end.

My suggestion: get a couple more quotes. That will be your best way to compare.... Then come back here and present more details on the products, install, etc, and we can give you some direction on what might be the best choice. :)

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™