Accommodations for out-of-towners

jill1273September 27, 2009

Question..how much is too much to ask out of town guests to spend on a hotel to come to my wedding? I basically have 2 choices, one more affordable ($90) but kinda old and dingy, and one a little more expensive ($165) but new and clean..Some people will be spending 2 nights... I would like most people to stay in same hotel so we can hang out afterwards, as the wedding will not be near my hometown, and most guests (including myself) will be staying...Any thoughts? P.S.- I'm keeping in mind that some will have to pay for airfare as well...Ugh!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Is it possible for you to negotiate a better rate (especially in view of wanting to stay two nights) block booking with the better hotel?

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 5:48AM
jill1273

Well, I'm working on that too..I spoke to a coordinator at the hotel and they're dragging their feet..problem is that it's a holiday weekend in a resort town, so they feel like they'll have no problem booking rooms at full price..

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 11:27AM
sweet_pea10

It is tough to negotiate a rate when your wedding is on a popular weekend in a resort. As the sales manager told you, they can always fill the space with guests who will pay full price. Though you would like everyone to stay at the same place, I would block space at both places and let your guests choose where to stay. They can still get together for meals, hang out at a park or another public place if necessary. When you communicate the block information, be sure to remind guests that the wedding will occur on a busy weekend, so don't wait to book their room. Some people tend to procrastinate and those are the ones who may have diffuculty getting a room.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 5:14PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I would give the information about both hotels to the guests. What you want the most is for them to attend, and the information may help get them there. After our daughter's wedding where most of the guests were from out of town, the groom's parents invited people up to their suite in the wee hours after the reception was over. A younger group chose to hang out at the bar for an hour or so. We stayed at our house. But I think I would try inviting people to the suite of the parents and have wine and sodas and chips etc. there. It was a nice way to wind down.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
wedding on a budget with 300 guest! help
My fiancé and I are getting married October this...
jrlong
What is your opinion on 'Farewell Sparklers'?
Have you used, are you going to use, or do you know...
Lindsey7
Monetary wedding gift
What is an appropriate monetary amount to give for...
TerriJM
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
Only one not invited to wedding
A couple at my church that I thought were my friends...
jashley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™