Nice idea for Catholic weddings....

granny2rickySeptember 3, 2004

Did you know that if you are Catholic, you can have your marriage blessed by the Pope himself? You need simply send one of your wedding invitations to the Vatican for a blessing, along with a donation. You will then be sent a papal blessing which can be framed and treasured for a life time for it's deep and special meaning. Ask your priest to provide you with information on precisely where and whom to address the invitation.

Vikki~~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendysCritters

You can also get a card from the President. You can do it by sending an invite or (I've read) you can do it through the White House website.

Here are the addresses:

President of the United States
Greetings Office
Room 39
Washington, DC 20500

His Holiness
Pope John Paul II
Palazzo Apostolico Vaticano
Vatican City, EUROPE

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 3:05AM
spewey

You can send me an invitation and a sizeable cash donation, and I'll give you my best wishes as well. I'll send back an email suitable for framing.

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 9:13AM
mary_md7

Spewey, what a snotty response to something that is meaningful to many people (i.e., the papal blessing).

granny2ricky, my sister and BIL have a papal blessing, framed, and hanging in their home. It means a great deal to them. My late uncle was a priest and married them, and he applied for the papal blessing for them and announced it to them at their wedding ceremony (i.e., that it would be coming from Rome). They were very touched.

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 11:36AM
sweet_pea10

You can also apply for a Presidential greeting for anyone celebrating an 80th or greater birthday and for the birth of a baby. Do you know if Papal blessings can be obtained for such events?

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 4:11PM
Sherrie_Lynn

We received one from the Office of The White House. It arrived before our wedding and I placed it on the Groom's Table next to Drew's Groom's Cake. It really was very special as Drew happened to be assigned to the Crew of Air Force One with three presidents during his Air Force Career. It is framed and has a very special place in our home. I think you can see it in the picture on our web site if you look for the pictures of Drew's Groom's table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drew and Sherrie Lynns

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 4:55PM
AutumnBride

What a great idea! I wish I had known about sending an invitation to the President. It would have been a special keepsake. Oh well! It will have to wait for our 80th birthdays, I guess! :-) I will have to tell this to my friends who are getting married.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 6:17PM
scarlett2001

Spewey, you made me laugh out loud! We need our sense of humor the most during wedding planning, it breaks the tension.

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 10:32PM
lindac

Spewey....I'll split the framing costs....it you'll split the donation!
Don't ya just love people with a great sense of humor!!??

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 10:53PM
LAS23

Spewey,
I thought the same thing - you are funny!

On the subject - I didn't know that you can have your marriage blessed by the pope. I can see this having special meaning to a lot of catholic people. That was nice information to share with everyone.

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 11:01AM
agnesd

Couldn't have said it better myself Spewey. I don't think it's humor I think it's the truth.

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 8:31PM
scarlett2001

But not joking here - what is an appropriate amount to send for a donation? I wouldn't have any idea. Is there a suggested number or is it a percentage of your wedding costs or what?

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 5:30PM
froggy05

Spewey ,

you cracked me up...that was great.
I am catholic and having a catholic wedding and it sounds like a great idea...the Papal blessing that is...
Lol, the presidential "blessing" will have to depend on who the president is...

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 11:42PM
blackcat333

I found this site that has some info

http://www.ultimatewedding.com/articles/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=733

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 3:42PM
jcowill

Does anyone know if you can apply for a papal blessing after your wedding? I got married in Jan 08 and am just now seeing this and would like to get it done.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 11:01AM
sweeby

We had a wonderful letter from the Queen of England in which she espressed "her dearest wish that only her Charles had done so well!"

In reality, it was a hysterical letter done in the most beautiful calligraphy on gorgeous paper by a friend of the groom. Definitely the hit of the wedding!

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:08PM
anewbeginning

Thank God I'm getting married next year. There will be a new president by then.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 11:19AM
gennysmom

Even if I had a personal dislike to the current President, I think it would still be cool. I respect the office he holds, even if the person is not the one I would have chosen.

Heck, I kind of feel that way about the Pope too, now that I think about it!

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 3:49PM
neesie

I'm both Catholic and American and I wouldn't take the energy to get either greeting or blessing! Seems kind of hollow coming from someone you supposedly have never met or conversed with (or voted for!) I'd rather have Spewey's endorsement! Post your address please, LOL!

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 5:06PM
dixieagle

To jcowill:

Yes, you can get a papal blessing after the wedding; our children gave us one for our anniversary. I think the usual way is through your parish pastor, or the bishop's office; they can at least get you on the right path.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
Only one not invited to wedding
A couple at my church that I thought were my friends...
jashley
Wedding Gift For Parents
I want to give something special to my parents on their...
sachishah
Why is my dil so cruel??
I would like a wedding coordinators opinion - is the...
Serenitynot
Great wedding ideas!
My son's wedding is finally over! It was wonderful!...
granny2ricky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™