Food questions.

billswifey2beAugust 11, 2005

We are having a BBQ on the beach wedding reception in October. We will be having Steaks, Ribs, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Baked Potatoes, Sweet Potatoe Casserole, Corn on the cob, Green Bean casserole, garlic bread, and rolls. My questions are... 1 can you think of anything else to have that would go well? 2. Would it be ok for me to start getting the nonparishables now (the reception is October 19th) I will be freezing the corn on the cob so it tastes good still. (dont think it would taste good still in Oct if it were out at all..) But to get like the Butter and freeze it etc? Thanks in advance :)

Dani

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Twinkle

What a great idea - sounds like a fun reception!

Looking over your menu, I see a couple of things. If you have any guests who might not eat red meat, or are on a diet, chicken would be a great meat addition. You could also add some grilled vegetables and fruit too, like pineapple, portabello mushrooms, peppers. Baked beans and salad also go great with grilled food.

You could go ahead and freeze some stuff now. I have frozen butter before and doesn't affect the quality at all. You could make fancy butter by adding some herbs or garlic, roll it into a log, and freeze it. For corn, you can get frozen corn-on-the-cob at the grocery store. They flash-freeze it as soon as it's picked, so it should be sweet. You could make up the sweet potato casseroles in advance and freeze those too.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 9:08AM
Susan_in_NC

If I could suggest (if you are a paid member, or one could foreward the question?) the cooking forum is a great source of support, recipes and helpful hints on questions like this. Lots of expert bakers and really good cooks with great ideas.

I was wondering why baked sweet potatoes and the casserole? I like both items, but did wonder.

Susan

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 10:20AM
sweet_pea10

I second Twinkle's suggestion that you add vegetables or at least a green salad and some fruit. The menu sounds delicious, but it is pretty heavy with starches. I love a BBQ!

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 1:17PM
sheilajoyce_gw

A big tossed green salad. Or a few varieties of salad.

You could have raw finger veggies with ranch dressing dip before hand as the meal is grilling and as people are mingling and having a drink.

Bookmark   August 15, 2005 at 9:30PM
cali4dawn

Just remember to have the food covered. Even in October you will have a problem with bugs wanting to taste test your food. But everything sounds wonderful.

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Why is my dil so cruel??
I would like a wedding coordinators opinion - is the...
Serenitynot
Thinking about not having a dinner
Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding,...
Chrissielou
Only one not invited to wedding
A couple at my church that I thought were my friends...
jashley
Shouldn't Parents Get a Thank You Note?
I'm wondering why I'm even asking this, but times have...
Karen10125
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™