Can 'inexpensive' satin purses be dyed?

Glitter53August 24, 2004

I think this store (which, incidently, sells upscale satin purses) is blowing smoke: they said that inexpensive satin purses can't be dyed. That we had to get some that have a fabric swatch attached that says they can be dyed. I'm thinking of all the satin shoes over the years that have been dyed to match the b'maids dresses, and many weren't expensive! Anyone have any experience with this?

Help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alicia67

I would be concerned that the thread would not dye the same as the fabric of the purse. Can you buy one and try it out first?

Bookmark   August 24, 2004 at 7:42PM
sweet_pea10

I would also be concerned that the dye might "run." You definitely don't want the color to bleed onto the dress that it is being worn with.

Bookmark   August 24, 2004 at 8:51PM
Glitter53

Hmmm...this doesn't sound too promising...I bought 3 purses for my DD's b'maids that weren't the $40 ones she was going to have to buy them....thought I'd done good ;-D
Perhaps a few calls to other dyeing places...I still think tons of inexpensive satin shoes over the years have been successfully dyed....Thanks for your suggestions and cautions...!

Bookmark   August 24, 2004 at 10:37PM
sweet_pea10

You are right that lots of inexpensive shoes have been dyed. I remember one wedding where the lawn was damp from a brief rain storm and the bridemaid's shoes ran. They were walking around holding up their skirts so that they didn't get the dye on their hemlines.

Bookmark   August 26, 2004 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Great wedding ideas!
My son's wedding is finally over! It was wonderful!...
granny2ricky
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
combined maid of honor/best man speech?
so I'm the maid of honor in my sisters wedding this...
becca1225
Shouldn't Parents Get a Thank You Note?
I'm wondering why I'm even asking this, but times have...
Karen10125
What to get for a wedding gift !!!
I have been invited to a wedding.The girl that is getting...
diana55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™