Vinyl window installation question?

applexFebruary 22, 2014

Im sure i already know the answer but here goes.
About 3 years ago i had replacement windows installed and i am very happy with the windows, i actually paid a little more to get a quality brand rather than home depot or andersen vinyl which i was warned not to get.
So, 4 days ago i noticed water coming through the outer part of my inside window trim towards the bottom. I had a handyman tell me it was the window installers responsibility to cap the outside trim. Well, i called my window installer who came the next day and said it wasnt his responsibility. He said the contract specifically stated that i do not get a full capping. He claims his install was perfect. In his defense he did ask to do a full cap but because i wanted to maintain a certain look and keep my window trim matched with my wood siding, i chose not to full cap. I guess i should of been more proactive in painting the outer trim to protect the exposed wood.
Looks like the leak is coming between casing and wood shingles. Looks like some casing rotted due to the bad winter we had. The window installer can fix it but he says he has to charge me.
Sound correct?

This post was edited by applex on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:08

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpchiil

"In his defense he did ask to do a full cap but because i wanted to maintain a certain look and keep my window trim matched with my wood siding, i chose not to full cap."

You were right...you knew the answer :)

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 5:11PM
windowsonwashington

Can you post up a picture? Sound like you are getting water between the trim/sill wood.

A full exterior trim wrap would mitigate this but obviously not fit the aesthetic requirement you need to maintain.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:39AM
toddinmn

Might just need caulking, even capping relies on caulking in a drip cap can not be installed.Use a good sealant such as Quad by OSI, Vulcem, Geocel or other urethane based sealants.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™