Motorized solar shades

lauren17February 13, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with these? I have a large 9x6 foot window in my great room that lets in a lot of heat during the summer. I need a motorized shade as the window is situated on the upper level of the 2 story room. Sun setter seems to be the only player in the market and they are quite pricey. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GulfBreezeWindows

Skandia, Ortega all make shades of these types. You can't buy direct, you have to get them through a dealer.

Motors typically start around $200 and go up from there depending on shade type, size and wheight.

at 9' you will probably need a direct power motor due to the weight. But that also depends on the fabric an height.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 10:49AM
mjtx2

I bought the non-motorized SilverScreen shades for our lake place and I LOVE THEM. You can still see out beautifully, even at 5% weave, and the silver backing totally reflects and traps the heat between the screen and the window. We even had the stuff made into a screen for our big skylight and it's made a huge difference.

Just google motorized solar shades and you'll find several dealers. I know North and Blinds Chalet are good but I'm sure there's others.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 8:07AM
GulfBreezeWindows

Not sure I like the whole aluminum over PVC shades. The PVC used to make shades is low quality and the aluminum heats it up.

Just my opinion though.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 9:16AM
lauren17

I appreciate the replies very much. Sorry I didn't make it clear in my original post that I am interested in exterior shades. They seem to be more energy efficient as the heat would be blocked from coming into the house to begin with. Also, I have several first floor windows in the great room that already have window treatments which I wouldn't be able to match. I am getting quotes from Insoroll, Sunsetter/Somfy and North Solar Screen....anyone have dealings with any of these outfits?

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 1:34PM
GulfBreezeWindows

really its about who you think will build the best quality. There are ton of fly by night outfits on the web.

For exterior, I might check out South West Sun Control (www.swsuncontrol.com I think).

They use Phipher and Vertilux, along with Somfy motors.

I don't use them anymore (because I have a closer dealer), but when I did buy from them, their outdoor products were fantastic.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 2:36PM
designerguyjc

I have used Bali Solar Screens for my clients and they love them. I am not sure if they will make them that big. You might have to go with something for more commercial use which usually means big bucks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bali Solar Screens and Shades

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Hunter Douglas Roller Shades Not Staying Down
We have a bunch of new Hunter Douglas Roller Shade...
Sean
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
Sponsored Products
Sonneman Tetra Gloss Black Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Alabaster Dust Sconce
$77.90 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Avani Dark Green 7 ft. 9 in.
Home Depot
Black and White Story One-Light Wall Sconce in Black Satin Lacquer Finish with S
$745.50 | Bellacor
Bover | Urban 03 Pendant Light
YLighting
ORE International Lamps 58 in. Stack Orb Ceramic Black Floor Lamp 31151F
Home Depot
Lite Source Devika Energy Saver Fluorescent Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Olive Green Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™