Frosty sills on new patio doors

jeff_mnFebruary 6, 2009

To any pro installers,

I have three brand new Andersen Frenchwood gliders recently installed by a licensed contractor. I get condensation on the metal sills at 15-20 degrees outside and frost starts to form on them at around 10 degrees and less. When it gets below zero, the frost gets really thick. Andersen tells me that this can occur when there is no "thermal barrier" installed under the sill. My old Marvin patio doors never had any frost on the sills.

My questions are:

- What exactly do they mean by a thermal barrier?

- What is the proper method of prepping the sill for installation?

- If my contractor did not install these doors correctly, that is, without a thermal barrier, is he on the hook for removing the door frames and reinstalling them correctly? What recourse would I have?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thewindowworks

Jeff.....the ground-work or (track) of any sliding door that you expect to hold-up under the weight of a 50-90 lb. sliding panel, with metal rollers, for any period of time HAS to be made of aluminum. The thermal conduction of any metal is going to allow cold to transfer through the ground-work to the moist, humid air of the interior. Is there a heater duct just in front of the doorway? Do you have full length drapes or blinds that trap warm moist air between them and the door? You might try to lower the humidity of the home. A thermal-break or barrier is any interruption of cold transfer in metal surfaces. Why did you remove the Marvin doors? This is a common aggrevation with alumimum windows and doors. That is why vinyl window companies flourish, but longevity, and durability are on the side of aluminum...put a towel down there and keep the humidity off the ground-work.........BG

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
incorporating old leaded glass in new casement windows
We own a home with large leaded glass windows (21)...
prospect
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™