Thinking about not having a dinner

ChrissielouAugust 11, 2014

Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding, we were thinking about an evening wedding (8pm) and we are wondering if our guests would be expecting supper at that time of night. We were thinking of having finger foods during the dance. Has anyone tired this before and how has their guests felt about it? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew

Chrissielou.

The guests will be there to celebrate with you. Bet they'd love the finger foods plus the cake.

Congrats. Relax, Enjoy.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:07AM
aegis1000

I agree with Roslew ...

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:11AM
hilltop_gw

If we were invited to an 8pm wedding we would not be expecting a meal. If there is a dance following then definitely have finger foods to counter the effects of any potential alcohol.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 2:46PM
gellchom

I don't know; I would probably at least a light supper even at an 8 pm wedding if the invitation didn't specify one way or the other, But -- that doesn't mean it would have to be a seated meal; finger foods would be fine, as long as they are substantial enough for people to feel fed. You don't want your guests to leave early because they didn't eat before they came.

Otherwise, I would make it a dessert reception and specify that in the invitation.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:44PM
nancylouise_gw

For an evening wedding guests would not be expecting a meal after the ceremony. The ceremony, pictures afterwards would make the timeline for a dinner impractical IMO. A variety of finger foods is a good idea. Wine and one signature drink offered should cover those that wish to drink. As well as non-alcohol beverages. Your wedding cake and cookies could be the dessert, with coffee and tea to drink. Maybe a champagne toast before you cut the cake. Congratulations and best wishes to you both. NancyLouise

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:47AM
sushipup1

Please do specify in your invitation, like Gellchom mentioned. Because people will be obtuse and not eat dinner first. Don't make any assumptions, because people will always make the wrong choices if it isn't spelled out for them. (And even then, you'll have a few.)

But yes, not having a dinner at that hour is perfectly fine.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
His/her point of view
DH and I went to his niece's wedding last Sat. and...
scarlett2001
Why is my dil so cruel??
I would like a wedding coordinators opinion - is the...
Serenitynot
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
wedding on a budget with 300 guest! help
My fiancé and I are getting married October this...
jrlong
Thinking of Eloping...
Life story, shortened. I am engaged to the best friend...
lauraeli_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™