Broken Glass Pane in a Double HungThermal Window

PWlionFebruary 2, 2013

I have a broken pane of glass in the upper sash of a double hung thermal window.

I can remove this upper sash very readily.

What do you recommend as my course of action?

The manufacturer of the window is Twin Seal. My home is 10 years old.

Can I buy a replacement sash from the manufacturer, or from other manufacturers? Or even from retailers?

The sash measures approximately 28"X20"

Are there standard sash dimensions, or are they peculiar to each manufacturer, such as Twin Seal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Windows on Washington

If they are still in business, look for a serial number on the window and just re-order the sash.

It will be more expensive than re-glazing the unit but incredibly easier and quicker from point A to point B.

    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If only one pane is broken, take the sash to a local glass shop. They will measure and order you the glass. Put the sash back in until the glass comes in and drop off the sash. They should be able to put the new glass unit in and you can pick the sash up later in the day.

    Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™