Visa Gift Card (preset $)

kraftdeeAugust 22, 2008

What do you think of giving a visa gift card as a wedding gift?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Might as well give cash. More flexible.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 11:27AM
asolo

Why add a middle man to a straight-cash gift?

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 12:24PM
kraftdee

I'll do the cash. Thanks for your input. I was projecting my own quirky personality which is that if I had a card I would go out specifically to buy something like a photo album, kitchen tool, towels, or whatever needed related to house.
If I had cash I'd spend it on groceries, coffee drinks, gas, etc.
When I see things in my home that I received as gifts for my wedding I usually associate the person with the object.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 1:03PM
asolo

Something to be said for the "object" idea. Straight economic consideration doesn't quite carry the "real gift" cache. I think you have a valid point there.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 2:57PM
gellchom

kraftdee and asolo, I know what you mean. That's why I prefer "thing" gifts to cash, too.

If you give a "thing" gift from a basic department store with a reasonable exchange policy, it's almost the best of both worlds, because they can (a) keep it, (b) exchange it for whatever gift-type they want, or (c) return it for a store credit to use for their own everyday purchases (which is almost like giving cash).

But if I weren't going to give a "thing" gift, I'd give cash, not a gift card or a prepaid Visa. The only time I really like gift cards are if they are for something that the recipient really does have to pick out themselves. Like my favorite little gift for someone with a new (not a first) home: a gift certificate to switchhits.com or similar site, so they can pick out fun switchplates and outlet covers to give a little finishing touch to a room. But otherwise, I would either choose something myself or else give cash; if you want them to do the shopping, no sense limiting them.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 10:42PM
colleenoz

I totally agree with Gellchom. I prefer "thing" gifts, for the reasons everyone's given. If I KNOW someone wants something from a particular store that they have to pick out, like sporting equipment, or speciallist kitchen stuff, or clothes, then I would give a card for that store. But if I had decided to give money (not really likely, but I know it's a convention for some) then I'd give cash rather than a card.
That said, if _I_ get cash as a gift, I put it aside and save it until I find that thing I really want but either couldn't afford or couldn't justify buying from the household budget, and tell the gift giver, "Oh thanks, I got myself the .... I've been lusting after with the money you gave me." When we got cash gifts for our wedding (many moons ago :-) ) we thanked the recipients and included the information that their cash gift would be used to help furnish our home, which it was.

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 7:08AM
ninos

I had a Visa giftcard given to me as a gift a few years ago. We had alot of trouble trying to use the card. Some places did not take them. And some places didnt know how to take them. I realize that they are suppose to be used like a regular card. But they dont work that way. It was a huge headache. Also Visa charges fees if you dont use the money on it in a given amount of time. They also charge you to check the balance on the card.

Go with cash instead.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 2:53PM
kraftdee

Thanks for all the input! This question has been answered really well.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 11:25PM
talley_sue_nyc

you can't put a gift card in the bank.

That is where our wedding cash/checks went. (Heck, give checks, then they can't fritter it away on gas or something)

I get really exasperated w/ the family members who give my kids big gift cards for bday presents. They don't need to spend $50 at Barnes & Noble; I usu. make them put most of their bday money in the bank, to save.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 11:49PM
gellchom

Oh, right, Talley Sue, if you give money, give it in the form of a check, not cash.

I was using "cash" to mean money as opposed to a gift card; I didn't mean folding greenbacks as opposed to a check.

I don't know about whether it makes it less "fritter-friendly," but a check is a much safer way to transfer funds. Certainly don't mail cash.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Flowers for an October wedding
Hi everyone! I'll be getting married next year and...
Bridejenna
Awkward Wedding Situation - Please help!
My stepdaughter is getting married in a couple months....
Karen10125
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
Mother of the Groom dress
Our son will be getting married August 2, outdoors. I...
sidnee
small wedding dilemma
My daughter and her fiancee have just gotten engaged...
Kathy Harrington
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™