Sliding Patio Door - Window World Price Tempting!

karenmanessFebruary 26, 2010

We have an odd-sized patio door (88" wide, currently 3 panels with the door in the middle) that we would like to replace with a 2-panel slider. We've had some of our windows replaced by the local Pella office (and have been satisfied) so I called them back out to give a price on a new patio door. Their installed price was about $5000. At that price, we won't be doing the project any time soon, although our old door has foggy glass and we are very tired of the kids slamming the door! I stopped by the local Window World office yesterday and the salesman gave me an estimate of about $1400 to replace the door with an all vinyl slider (with low E and argon). The price difference between the two options is huge, obviously. My trim outside and in is all white, and the aesthetics of vinyl don't bother me. This patio door is under a roof that covers part of our deck, so it does not get direct weather or much direct sunlight. We are very tempted to go for the Window World door since at that price we could go ahead and do the project before spring/summer when we use our deck constantly. Anyone have thoughts / insights on the vinyl Window World option, or have suggestions on other things to consider here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

I would suggest lots of research before dealing with WW. There's reasons for the huge price difference. There are a lot of very good doors you can get for under $2500 installed that will last a lot longer than WW doors.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 3:53PM
karenmaness

Thanks, skydawggy. Could you suggest other manufacturers that might be good to look at?

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 8:18AM
skydawggy

Milgard, Simonton, Gorell, just to name a few. I don't know what brands are available in your area. After you look at a few, post back and I'll comment. As a general rule, I'd stay out of the hardware stores when looking for quality. There should be a few showrooms in your area where you can go and view some other brands.

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 8:48AM
karenmaness

Well, my husband and I went to a Home Show a few weeks ago and I learned that he is not a fan of vinyl inside the house. So we are back to looking at the clad wood options. I've had our odd size (88"W x 80") patio door quoted in 3 different products, all custom sizes of course. All are for aluminum clad (or vinyl clad in Anderson's case), with Low-E/argon glass. These are purchased price only, not installed.

Marvin - $3809

Anderson - $2290

Peachtree - $2017

The installation contractor said he really likes the Marvin slider, but wow - what a price jump! The Anderson and Peachtree options are very close, so I would tend to pick Anderson due to the longevity of the company, which hopefully means they will be there if you need them years down the road!

Any thoughts?

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 10:05PM
nhermsen_cox_net

I had two windows replaced in my house by Window World and I can tell you that the windows are great! They do not let ANY outside air in and they have a DOUBLE LIFETIME WARRANTY, meaning you get the warranty and the next person can have lifetime warranty too if they pay $50.00 to transfer the warranty.

Even if a neighbor's lawn mower would throw a rock through the window, it is covered under the lifetime warranty. If they can not fix it, they replace the whole window.

Only downfall is they are a little slow on getting out to service, but usually within the same week.

I honestly can not beat the price, and quality, or warranty with Window World!

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 7:22PM
skydawggy

So let me see if I understand. You bought 2 windows from WW and you have already needed a service call to fix something. But you think the windows are great and you don't think the quality can be beat?

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 8:40PM
GulfBreezeWindows

Your service would be slow too if you only paid your guys $30 a window and had to pay them to go out and service a window that that they didn't know how to fix.

The biggest issue I have with WW is that their installs are so "lazy". Huge air gaps left in-between windows.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
incorporating old leaded glass in new casement windows
We own a home with large leaded glass windows (21)...
prospect
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
Windows E-store windows (ECOXtreme)
We are looking at several new construction windows...
Jennifer
Sponsored Products
Karma Faux Stone Table Fountain
$70.20 | Lamps Plus
Ivory & Black Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Coral Coast Hubbard Ottoman - WSOC06O
$39.99 | Hayneedle
10 x 10 White Cedar Log Pergola
Fifthroom.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Whirl
$47.20 | Home Depot
CorLiving Seattle Curved 5-piece Sofa and Chair Patio Set
Overstock.com
Tommy Bahama Island Estate Veranda Storage Trunk/Cocktail Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Rox Acrylic Pole 30 Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$702.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™