My first project

rock_oak_deerJune 9, 2011

loribee2 asked about current projects, so here's my first attempt. I posted my own thread because it could go on for a while.

Years ago I wanted to do a mosaic and, not knowing what else to do, I smashed a plate with a hammer. The pieces turned out too small and I was not happy with the result. I packed everything up and put it in a box until recently when I found this old trowel in my mom's garage and realized scale might be just right for all those tiny shards. I like the way this is working and am glad to get past the mess I made on the past attempt.

The plan is to cover the handle with mirror and glass pieces. So far I've applied some drywall tape around it. Now I think I need to put some mortar on that or do I just glue the pieces with Liquid Nails directly to the tape?

I'm going to string seed beads on thin nylon and wrap the stem of the trowel and the top on the handle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2

Oh, what an adorable idea! I never would have thought to cover a garden tool with mosaic. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your progress. I think this is going to turn out really sweet! I love the work you've done so far. Love the way you bordered the edge with yellow like that, and concentrated the flowers in the center. I could totally see this hanging on a wall, or even mounted on some sort of a stake and poking out from the flowers.

I would love to help you with it, but I'm afraid I don't have experience with mosaic on anything that's not concrete. So I'll leave that part to the experts. For me, I'll just give kudos!! Great job!!

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 4:31PM
concretenprimroses

So cute. I love your flower shards and the way that you have placed them.
Kathy

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 5:27PM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks, I was inspired by a mosaic shovel pic on another forum. The link is below.

Good idea on the stake, if the handle doesn't work out I can try that.

I'm watching Mr. Sea because I have some ideas in mind for that type of project too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Shovel

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 6:23PM
texaswild

How sweet - you did a great job. I mosaiced a little short shovel several years ago and two shovel heads - they're fun garden art. Welcome to the forum.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:11AM
Calamity_J

Adorable, luv it! Keep us posted!

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:20AM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks, I need some advice on the handle.

I've wrapped it in fiberglass tape and think it should have mortar applied next as a base. Will that work and what type of mortar should I use?

Shirley

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 3:48PM
rock_oak_deer

Tried sticking pieces to the mesh and it's working great so I'll go with that. I'll probably have it on the shed porch so it won't be in weather much anyway.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:09PM
janieinmo

now how awesome is that!! what a cute, unique idea!! It's like a hidden surprise to come across.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 7:29AM
silvamae

That's really cute; I love those colors together.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 3:59PM
rock_oak_deer

Progress...

Added marbles, beads, and china pieces to the handle. The narrow mirror strips for the handle are difficult to cut, but I'll get there.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 4:50PM
oldcrafty

It's looking really good....The finished piece should really be a ....WOW

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 5:22PM
loribee2

Oooh, pretty! Love the colors. Can't wait to see it done!

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 9:28AM
texaswild

Looks Great! I am using Slow's computer as I am visiting her>Calamity-j.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 9:36AM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks, all!

Hi Slow and Calamity! I did wonder if you had made it to Texas. We will look for pics of you two working on the fountain wall.

I've been trying to get thin rectangles of mirror to go vertically around the handle, but I may end up finishing it with broken shards of mirror instead.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 9:45AM
fldirt

Nice work....love the colors. Can't wait to see the final product.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 4:49PM
concretenprimroses

I just love this idea. I have some trowels that really irritate me to use cuz they pinch my hand or are really dull by design, but I just have never gotten rid of them. mosaic would be perfect! I'm eager to see how you display it.

Kathy

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 9:27AM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks Kathy and fldirt.

I was stuck on the mirror because I wanted to use mirror leftover from a bathroom remodel but it's too thick for small strips. I bought a thinner craft mirror this weekend which should work better. At least I have plenty of mirror shards for a future project.

Shirley

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:19PM
Calamity_J

I go to a glass company to buy the thin mirror. Last time I went, they had several large scraps of it, and gave it to me free. The very thin stuff is wonderful for mosaics. Check out your local glass companies for cheaper than hobby shops craft mirror.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 8:05AM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks for the tip calamity j. I used a coupon at Michael's but was definitely thinking it would be expensive for a larger project.

How's the wall project going?

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 10:05AM
texaswild

Again, the above message is from SLOW. I just delivered CALAM to the airport. She must've forgotten to log off my computer. The wall project was grouted several days ago. I had most of it done b/f CALAM arrived. I mosaiced and hung a heart over a rebar stake day b/f yesterday. Have to mortar, mosaic and grout a flower I have built and put over a rebar stake, and am in the process of making a huge butterfly to cover the last rebar stake. Those are the only two things left on the wall. Then, of course, I have to dig out the area in front, put in compost and plants.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 1:02PM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks slow, that was certainly a bit confusing.

Glad to know the visit went well and the wall is coming along. Would love to see pictures.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 4:40PM
loribee2

Ditto on the wall pictures! :-D

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 8:48PM
texaswild

I won't post another picture until it's completed and the plants are in. Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 1:16PM
rock_oak_deer

Ready to grout!

It was worth the time and effort to get the mirrors right. When I first pictured doing this piece I visualized the mirror strips going around like that and would not give up until it worked. The gold beads will go back on the top of the handle after the grout.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 10:28AM
concretenprimroses

Its beautiful1 Love the mirrors on the handle. It was worth getting the thinner mirrors so you could do it.
What color grout?
Kathy

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 1:40PM
rock_oak_deer

Thanks, the thinner mirror is much easier to work with. I'll still use the thicker mirror pieces for projects that are more random.

Right now it's dark grout on the handle and probably light gray on the blade. In going through the archives here, dark grout will definitely look better on the handle. The lighter grout is the look I want for the blade.

Shirley

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 3:18PM
texaswild

What a wonderful little project. You're done a great job too. Looks pretty enough to be a pendant.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:48AM
october17

Very cool project. Did you grout it yet?

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 8:52AM
ernie85017

It looks like a royal scepter!

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™