Need some advice on replacement windows

geosulcataFebruary 2, 2013

We are going to be putting in a window where a chimney was. We will eventually be replacing all windows on the house, so the style of window we choose for the area where the chimney was could affect the whole look of the house. We aren't sure whether to use side sliding windows with no muntins or vertically hung windows with muntins. The problem we are having is some windows are short and very wide, others are taller than they are wide, and some are just huge (the two covered by the palm trees at the front of the house.

Our home is in FL and the neighborhood is homes on 2 acres with all sorts of houses and window styles from ultra modern to FL cracker style.

I would love suggestions!

The photo below shows where the chimney is 1/2 way down. This window will be 63"x63"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

Which type of look/operation do you prefer? In those openings, you could really go either way, or do a mix of both. That is fairly common as well...
The advantages of sliders would be a lower price (less total units), and you would gain additional glass area. On the downside, slider are generally leakier than double hungs, however you will have less lineal feet of sash and weatherstripping with the sliders, meaning less area for potential leakage.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 1:51PM
windowsonwashington

+2

You have a mixed bag there.

What look do you like and go with that.

Awnings, Casements, and Tilt and Turns are also and option.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:24PM
geosulcata

I want it to look simple and modern. I think I will either go with sliders (no muntins) or vertical windows (no munitins). I want white vinyl windows as we put them in at our last house and they were so easy to open and close. I am just not sure if it would look better with a single sliding glass window or with side by side vertical windows (as it has now).

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™