pgt or cgi hurricane impact replacement windows

kay2000February 28, 2009

We are in South Florida and want to replace our windows. We have heard that CGI laminated windows with annealed glass are pretty much distortion free. PGT laminated windows use heat-strengthened glass that are stronger, but tend to cause some distortion. Since we will still use hurricane shutters, we prefer to go with distortion-free CGI windows.

Is anyone familiar with the CGI product?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberon476

Heat strengthening impact resistant glass improves wind resistant performance - which results in a higher DP - but it does nothing to improve impact performance.

The downside of tempering or heat-strengthening the glass in any laminated make-up (as you noted) is an increased chance of distortion becase of non-parallel surfaces in the two lites that make up the laminate.

I would almost always suggest annealed glass in any laminated make up, if it meets windload / DP requirements, and you want to minimize potential glass distortion.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 10:39AM
kay2000

Thank you so much for that information. I'm so happy to read a confirmation on what I had heard here and there. Since we will continue to use our hurricane shutters when necessary, I think we'll be happy with the annealed laminated glass. Thanks again!

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 9:15PM
kay2000

Follow up: We installed CGI Hurricane Windows, aluminum casement style to replace our awning windows from the 1970's. We are extremely happy with them. When ordering them, I was asked if I wanted clear glass or green tinted glass. I thought the green tint would look too commercial, and possibly affect the daylight shining through. When looking outside, the clear glass is perfect, but from the outside looking in, the glass looks almost black unless you have a window covering directly at the window. We usually keep our blinds/curtains open, so the glass looks dark from the street. When the blinds are down, the clear glass appears as it is... clear.
On a large "picture" window, a different glass had to be used due to the large size. That window decidedly has a greenish tint and I can see the effect of the outside light shining in through that particular window. It is listed as "clear" glass, but there is a greenish tint. Just fyi.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 5:39PM
kay2000

Three year update on CGI window installation. We are still enjoying our impact windows and have since installed CGI French Doors on the patio. Excellent quality and appearance.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
What size windows - 12' Great Room Ceiling
I found this great room picture, and am looking to...
burbmomoftwo
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™