Cups, What to do with them?

mfbpaJune 16, 2013

I'm busy cleaning up my hut today, I can't work with a big mess all around me, I can't get to my stuff! LOL

Anyhow, I have 4 BIG boxes of cups, what was I thinking collecting and saving these things, what on earth can I do with them? Would love some ideas, but better yet, if you (Slo) have any sites with "cup work", please share.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Here's a cute idea.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 7:16PM
texaswild

See, Jeri: As soon as you ask for something on this forum, your cup usually runneth over w/ideas. Sorry folks, it was a perfect opportunity. SILVA - that's a wonderful post. I can see these cups filled w/succulents. I have a whole bunch of cups too. Might have to use this idea. I think that w/be a perfect project for Janeybo and me to work on while she's here. Thank you so much, MFB for asking, and you, SILVA for coming back w/that. I don't have a thing to offer.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:26AM
silvamae

I like that cup idea so much, I am planning to make one for myself as soon as this Open House thing is over. I love succulents, and this wonderful plant nursery up the road, LandArt, has beautiful little succulents for sale.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:21AM
phish_gw

I love this. Thanks for posting! But how in the world can you cut the cups in half straight so they have a (relatively) straight back to glue against the board while keeping at least one half intact?

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 9:28AM
silvamae

I use Leponnit wheeled nippers. Position the wheels just inside the opening of the cup, straight up and down, near the handle, and squeeze. The cup breaks in half almost perfectly, almost every time. If you want a sure thing, then you can cut the cup in half using a ring saw. Practice on a cup you don't care about.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 9:35AM
texaswild

My ring saw wouldn't permit me to get a cup under it. I bought a cheapy Harbor Freight tile saw w/an open blade up from the table on which you guide the cups, vases, bowls, bottles. It was only $60. Has been outside these few years, and still is my favorite tool. Haven't used the ring saw in years.

When you position your wheeled nippers on the side of the cup handle - say on the right side - point the wheels slightly away to the right of center. Then turn your nipper over for the left side of the handle and point it slightly away - to the left - of center. Then w/you nippers, trim any areas necessary for a straight handle piece. Different ceramics cut different ways. Sometimes you get a perfect cut - other times - not so much. Takes practice too.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Sponsored Products
Two Dot Highballs - CLEAR/GOLD
$50.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Beige Vinyl Kids Recliner with Cup Holder and Headrest
Overstock.com
Round White Ceramic Vessel Sink
TheBathOutlet
Siena Tall Apothecary Beverage Server With Iron Stand
Classic Hostess
Vietri Set of Four Puccinelli Wine Glasses
$119.50 | FRONTGATE