May I come in?

hale_boppJuly 16, 2005

Hi All,

I'm usually over at the Kitchen Table, but I've recently been asked to be a bridesmaid for my best friend's wedding. It's going to be in December, so for the next five months I'll be in wedding-land helping her out. It'll be a little difficult b/c I'm in California and she's in Alaska. :) Also, this is my third wedding to be in, but I'm a bit rusty, so is it okay if I come to you for any advice on things?

My first question is, is there a recommended wedding planner for someone who isn't sure if she wants to have a formal wedding or casual? She asked me if I knew of one. Thanks so much!

Blessings,

Haley

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57

There are several creative souls here who are wedding planners by profession. They have provided priceless information in response to posted questions.

MY first thought on your question (I am NOT a wedding planner) is that your friend needs someone who works in Alaska.

Congratulations on being in the wedding. Have fun helping the bride and enjoy the journey.

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 7:05AM
hale_bopp

LOL, thank you, Dian! I think I meant to say, "recommended wedding planner BOOK"...LOL!! Dummy me. ;)

Blessings!
Haley

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 3:19PM
sweet_pea10

As a wedding planner, I suggest that you send your friend either "The Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Wedding" or "Weddings for Dummies." Neither one will specifically outline the pros and cons of a casual versus semi-formal or formal wedding, but they will help her, and you, to understand the basic structure of a wedding.

To decide on how formal the wedding might be, your friend should think about: 1. her lifestyle - does she like formal sit-down dinners or is she a more casual person 2. available reception locations in her community - it is possible that most of the facilities are fairly casual or they may be quite formal. That will help her make a decision. Most weddings today tend to be either casual or semi-formal, particularly in places like Alaska. It is possible that if she tries to have a formal wedding, it will cost her a great deal to create the right atmosphere.

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 11:22PM
hale_bopp

Thanks so much, Sweet Pea!! Though I have to admit, I hate those names. It's one thing to buy that book for yourself, but another to buy it for someone else, LOL! I was going to surprise her with it. She's far from an "idiot" or "dummy". :)

Great points! I'll pass them along.

Blessings,
Haley

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 12:47PM
morrisonsMYmuse

i'm using The Ultimate Wedding Planning Guide! i have found it very helpful.... aside from offering adequate space for writing notes and lists and budget planning, it has helpful tips on every aspect of the wedding from start to finish. i reccommend either that book or one similar to it, because all the worksheets are already provided all you have to do is fill in the blanks. your friend won't have to waste time trying to get it all organized... the book does that for her... i love mine....

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
wedding on a budget with 300 guest! help
My fiancé and I are getting married October this...
jrlong
Awkward Wedding Situation - Please help!
My stepdaughter is getting married in a couple months....
Karen10125
Shouldn't Parents Get a Thank You Note?
I'm wondering why I'm even asking this, but times have...
Karen10125
combined maid of honor/best man speech?
so I'm the maid of honor in my sisters wedding this...
becca1225
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™