Wording of Invitation

craftyjulesJuly 10, 2006

I am having a beach wedding and am looking for some unique wording for the invitation. We (B&G) will be paying for the wedding, so none of that stuff that goes in the traditional wedding invitation. I want something like: "You are invited to where the surf meets the sand..." and from there I can't figure out anything to go with it. Can someone with a creative mind help me out here?!?!?! Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gellchom

Just please, please be sure that the invitation is CLEAR. I have gotten invitations that were so "creatively" worded that I couldn't figure out to what I was being invited. Make sure your guests know you are inviting them to see you get married, not just to watch the surf meet the sand or "begin your new life together" or "celebrate your love" or something like that -- without having to read the invitation 3 times. YOU know it's a wedding, but a reader might wonder if it's just a reception or engagement party or something.

You could have it both ways, actually. Have whatever you want about surf and sand at the top, perhaps in a larger and "beachier" font, and then follow with the details (xxxx surf meets the sand xxxx/ [space] / Please join us as we are married / date / time / place / Jane Doe and John Roe

Congratulations!

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 12:17PM
craftyjules

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate what you have had to say. I just want to be creative but still get the correct message across.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 1:51PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Surf and Sand is a menu item here. It means a plate with steak and shrimp or scallops or lobster. So try to avoid triggering that picture in the reader's mind.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 3:13PM
bananarama_1

I made some invitations for a friend and she loved them. Maybe something like this:

As unique as a flower,
As deep as the sea,
As eternal as the sky,
Our love was meant to be.

Ms. ABC
&
Mr. XYZ
invite you to share in our happiness
as we begin our new life together.

Friday, May 20, 2005
at 4pm

Where the Sand Meets the Sea
Lori Wilson Park
Cocoa Beach, FL

Reception immediately following

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 1:55PM
gellchom

I like bananarama's wording very much, except for "as we begin our new life together." As a guest, I would wonder if this means the wedding ceremony or just a reception or what? And believe me, it makes a difference -- if it's for the actual wedding, I'll be there right on time, but not if it's just a party. What is wrong with "as we are married" or "at our wedding" instead? What does "as we begin our new life together" add? Certainly not "uniqueness" -- I should think that is true of EVERY couple getting married.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 5:19PM
bananarama_1

Ouch Gellchom...pretty harsh.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 4:03PM
gellchom

I apologize. I didn't mean to be harsh. I guess I am just a little concerned about craftyjules's unintentionally setting herself and/or her guests up for some problems.

As a guest, I really need to know exactly what it is I am being invited to attend. Do I dress for a religious ceremony or a cocktail party? Do I arrive prior to or 10 minutes after the start time? Am I figuring on the time frame for ceremony and reception, or just one or the other?

I think that people sometimes avoid the words "wedding" or "marriage" because they think the traditional forms are boring and want their invitations to be unique. They forget that their invitations will be completely unique anyway -- take whatever wording seems too boring to you and plug in YOUR NAMES and you'll see what I mean. No wording in the world can beat that for POW! factor.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
His/her point of view
DH and I went to his niece's wedding last Sat. and...
scarlett2001
What is your opinion on 'Farewell Sparklers'?
Have you used, are you going to use, or do you know...
Lindsey7
Thinking about not having a dinner
Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding,...
Chrissielou
small wedding dilemma
My daughter and her fiancee have just gotten engaged...
Kathy Harrington
Greek wedding
Hi, My son is marrying into a wonderful, large, very...
robins143
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™