Entry Doors

MacyPAFebruary 16, 2012

I know this forum is for windows, but will ask my door questions since there is not a forum for that.

What is the standard width of double entry doors?

What is considered a better look, double entry doors or single entry door with one or two sidelights?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Standard size double doors are general 5'-0" (2 2'-6" doors), 5'-4" (2 2'8" doors), and 6'-0" (2 3'-0" doors). Appearance of double doors or single doors with sidelites is totally dependent on the person and the style of home.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 11:01AM
skydawggy

Depends on where the double doors are located. Front Doors in my area are most often approx. 72x80. However rear doors such as French Doors can range between 48"-68"x80 with the most common size being 64x80. The largest sidelite offered by most door manufacturers is 14" but there are some styles available with 16" S/L.

As noted, which looks best is a matter of personal taste. I've never really seen any benefit to a double door. My personal preference is a door and 2 sidelites.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 12:51PM
millworkman

I agree with skydawggy, also double doors are prone to leaking especially in a front door due to the fact that they are normally supplied with a fairly low profile sill as opposed to patio doors which are generally supplied with taller saddles.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
Thank you for this forum!!
It is nice to see some unbiased information. For any...
dont_trust_the_dog
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™