The spackle concept

loribee2June 13, 2011

I had lots of annoyances with my first butterfly because the mortar I spread over my hardware cloth wasn't perfectly even. Ironically, I haven't had this similar problem as I'm working on Mr. Sea. I think because he's a larger piece, he was easier to really keep smooth in the mortar stage. That and, because he's a larger piece, I'm finding it easier to adjust for slight tilts in some of the tiles.

Anyway, I'm trying something a little different on my next butterfly and I hope it helps. I took a putty knife and some thinset and basically "spackled" the butterfly wings. I'm letting it dry good, and then I'll lightly sand over it to get the surface even more smooth.

I have no idea whether or not this will help, but thought I'd share the idea!

I'll keep you posted!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2

Are these pictures really huge on your computers by the way? I resized them in Photobucket before I copied them in, but it sometimes seems to take a long time before the photo shows up in the smaller size on GardenWeb. I don't get it! If they're huge, I apologize! I'm thinking in the future, I'll probably resize them on my PC before uploading so I don't have the hassle.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:28PM
texaswild

You must've missed my post on what I learned from a former member - NICETHYME - (miss her). She used a damp paint brush to smooth out the mortar. It works beautifully. I've used that technique ever since I saw her do that on her large leaf project. Just wet the brush and brush lightly over the mortar/thinset.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:30PM
loribee2

Now that you mention it, that does sound vaguely familiar. I don't think it clicked at the time I was mortaring my butterflies. I will definitely give that a try with the next one.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:48PM
nanatricia

You can also take a wet sand paper and go over it and smooth out some of the rough parts helps a lot.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:58PM
concretenprimroses

Looks good. Glad to hear about techniques that I may be using tomorrow!
Kathy

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 63.5 in. White Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. 19 in. Newport Park Style Citronella Fla
Home Depot
Concept I Wet White 58-Inch Ceiling Fan
$459.95 | Bellacor
Bubble Club Chair by Kartell
$800.00 | Lumens
Hollywood Pendant by Viso
$349.00 | Lumens
Cambridge Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Austin Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Conceptâ„¢ I Ceiling Fan